SoundBlaster Live Help

SlickSlick Upstate New York
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I have a soundblaster live card. I assume it is using the XP drivers so I decided to update. I got the new drivers off the creative website and tried to install them, but it says that the hardware cannot be detected. I brought up the creative diagnostics program, and to no avial, it too failed in detecting the hardware. Any ideas?

NOTE: Upon going into the device manager XP reads the card as 'Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)'

Comments

• LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    You sure you have the right drivers? Try removing the device with the XP drivers first, then run the setup.
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    Perhaps a different PCI slot would help? or you could roll back to older drivers

~dodo
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    The XP drivers were working alright for me, but being inclined to play the crapshoot of trying anything new I "updated" to the Creative drivers.

The drivers worked, but nothing I tried could get the rear channels to work. I went back to the windows drivers and they magically reappeared.

Prof
  • jonojono Manchester, UK
    edited June 2003
    Try and delete all drivers in device manager, then manually load up the new creative drivers, pull the card out and put it in another slot and reboot, hopefully it will see the card and the new drivers. Make sure the new drivers are for xp.
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    I was helping someone with a creative card issue earlier this year. At that time the latest creative drivers did not seem to work with win xp sp1. You should probably verify that the drivers you are using were released after service pack 1.

~dodo
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited June 2003
    Now I don't even know what the hell is wrong with the thing. I will be with my clan on ventrilo, and it will sound like they are in a can. Everything echos, oh well, I am reinstalling windows after school today.
  • jonojono Manchester, UK
    edited June 2003
    Slick said
    Now I don't even know what the hell is wrong with the thing. I will be with my clan on ventrilo, and it will sound like they are in a can. Everything echos, oh well, I am reinstalling windows after school today.

That's maybe your settings you need to change, sounds like you have environmental settings on.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    Wish I'd said that.

Once, I accidently left the effects on and played a game of Age Of Empires II. It sounded like they were all hollering up a drain spout.:rolleyes:

prof
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited June 2003
    Yeah enviro settings can be a pain sometimes... the drivers occasionally don't disable the sound when you leave a tunnel or whatnot... very annoying.
  • DeathStarDeathStar DEATHSTAR^MAINFRAME
    edited June 2003
    This is somewhat technical but it explains what Microsoft WDM drivers are......

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/tech/audio/wdmaudio.mspx
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    jono said
    Slick said

That's maybe your settings you need to change, sounds like you have environmental settings on.

Agreed, sounds like an EAX environmental effect. You should be able to open your creative mixer and check it. If its set to anything other than none you found your problem.