Uhhh...WTF?

Josh-Josh- Royal Oak, MI
edited October 2004 in Folding@Home
Okay, so. I thought I'd start folding again. I grabbed a copy of the software, installed, everythings set up...but...It says I have an estimated "104 days" til my WU is done? Maybe its just me, but I think this doesn't seem right. :bawling:

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    which wu(protein) are you folding and is it a tinker or a gromac?
    Do you have an amd or intel processor and which model?
  • Josh-Josh- Royal Oak, MI
    edited October 2004
    Currently, I have an AMD Athlon XP 1900+ running at 1.6GHz, but this weekend (or within a week), I will be running an AMD Athlon 64-bit 3000+ processor.

I'd look what kind of protein I'm folding, but everytime I open the F@H program its too busy rendering different looking shapes..I believe it said something such as "GROMACS core".

EDIT: *turned the text display on*. Its p928_pa_sa_fold, gromacs core.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Welcome back, Josh.... :)
    edited October 2004
    :) Thanks, glad to be back.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2004
    Where does it say 104 days? EM3?
    edited October 2004
    Under the estimated ending time, or whatever. It keeps changing between 00D and 100+days.
    edited October 2004
    Go to your FAH folder and check the log file. We what the time between frames are. Best to find a spot where there wasnt too much CPU usage at the time.
    edited October 2004
    Seems like after I do some gaming, the estimated time is severely impacted and set back very far, but then gradually returns to around 15 hours.
    edited October 2004
    Well yeah the game uses all the CPU so its tring to calculate your finish on the last frame alone and when the last frame takes the whole time you are gaming, it will make it seem like its going to take days.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Josh "Hollywood" Nemitz by any chance?
    edited October 2004
    Yeah...That'd be me. :p
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Guess, for project p928 of the specific kind you got, 2-2.95 days at most with gaming some but not a huge lot. It is a 91 point WU, and preferred turnin is 16 days on that WU. They are getting bigger and bigger, you got one of the smaller molecule units which is 100 frames in size.

I've been getting huge WUs here, but box handles them. Your 3000+ is likely to be much faster at same WU, maybe 18-23 HOURS in time if it just folded, or about 1.2-1.5 days if you game some.

I'll give you an idea of what about a 3 GHz P4 Northwood box can do WUs in--

P1133, 241 points, 44 prefered days turnin, about 27-29 HOURS for that box if it folded 24\7 with not too much gaming but a little. That is average RANGE for my P4 here at 3.1 GHz, and that box is used for other things. Efficiency is about .96-.95 for this WU on that box.

Same box does a p1308 in about 21-23.5 hours, 320 points, preferred turnin 31 days. (efficiency averages a tib over .973, times based on about .975 efficiency to about .97 efficiency).
    edited October 2004
    Thanks much...finished my WU...this one is 5 times larger..O_O