Bad News means Good news...

QCHQCH Ancient GuruChicago Area - USA Icrontian
edited October 2004 in Folding@Home
OK... I have not been given permission to automatically install F@H on systems but I have been given permission to ask individuals if they mind me installing it.

I received this news letter and one of the headlines... "Fermilab's Contributions to SETI@home Rank Third Among World's Governmental Agencies"

Seems like bad news for F@H... all those CPU cycles gone to waste.... we could PWN many other teams.... but I read into it further... "(Fermi Computer Division)... believes that distributed computing software that has science purposes and does not interfere with the laboratory's tasks constitutes "acceptable use" under the Fermilab Policy of Computing."

WOOT!!!!! F@H = distributed computing software... I have just been given an "IN" for my conversations with users... Search for little green men or help cure cancer and other REAL problems. WOOT!!!!!!

Seemingly bad news turns into good news!!!! Back to work now....
Fermi Today

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Go QCH! Make them see the light! :D:D
  • edited October 2004
    Nice Q!
    I know how much of an uphill battle it can be. You can advise them that I've installed it on many machines around here and have no problems whatsoever being caused by the client. It is a very well behaved app and does a lot of good. I guess I'll be looking for you on the threats list really soon. Good luck on it and keep us posted.

KF
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited October 2004
    Way to go Q. Good to see there still are some open-minded companies around.

Sure hope you have a win with this one. :thumbsup: