Internet drops everytime my IP changes

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited October 2004 in Science & Tech
I've got DSL connected to a 2Wire HomePortal 1800HW. Everytime my IP changes, my connection drops and I have to release and renew. That didn't happen a few weeks ago and nothing has changed on my computer. Before when my IP change it took a few minutes to get a connection back but now it doesn't come back.

-Edit-
I've noticed that recently it's mostly (or always) happened while playing BF1942 but it worked fine before.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Game connects like static IPs. Set the IP totally static at your computer, you will get what you have. BUT, point the computer to the router as a gateway, and have the router point to your box, and if an IP resync to router is not sent while gaming, things might get better. IF your ISP does not block gaming port used by BF1942 for whatever reason, after a while.

Think of it like two boxes playing on a phone line:

The gamer on box one wants to talk to box two. He dials out, and as the connect is made, the ISP assigns an IP. If the ISP does not suspend the call during gaming, or change your local IP, on either end, then you get a nice game, though slow because of the slow data feed on basic POTS dialup. Now lets say you have low bandwidth DSL, essentially DIALUP DSL. Every call into the DSL network can get you a different IP, or your IP can be static if you have high bandwidth always-on DSL. But, with a router involved, the router is the one with an IP controlled by the ISP unless the whole LAN is also staticly set up and DHCP from router is not used. I set my computer local DHCP source to router's LAN IP, that is fixed. IF, say, I wanted a game server, that would have to be a fixed LAN IP, and to work through a router (if the router was dynamic as to IP by call as far as WAN IP) either it would be static on LAN and the LAN side IP of the router would also have to be static so that the port routing could be static, or a DYNDNS or port route to DMZ'd node on "LAN" and DMZ and static LAN IP of server would have to be used.

Your router is essentially a multibridging switch on LAN side, and on WAN side, which is the router connect, it is a LAN\WAN two-way bridge where WAN can be dynamic IP. ISPs are now selling static IPs for a huge price if you are on always-on broadband.

BTW, if you DMZ anything you can be exposing that thing to all traffic from the web unless the thing in essence blocks what is not wanted itself (DeMilitarized Zone settign for a computer in a router means you want it on the web in essence directly, fully exposed as much as a server which is directly on the web would be). Sounds like game programming and networking setup, configuration, and drivers are not working together, sorry to say. check and see if your router has gaming modes available, or aDMZ mode, put your gaming box in DMZ when it is gaming, otherwise let router protect it, you will get to turn this on and off to have the computer protected unless it is also a server.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    b3319932967187f_photo.jpg
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2004
    Hehe that Bunny with a Pancake on its head.;D;D

Your IP is changing while your computer is on?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Yeah. I think it changes every 24hrs.
  • maggie99635maggie99635 Alaska
    edited October 2004
    Go to command and type
    ipconfig /flushdns and see if things start working
    You can also ipconfig /displaydns to see what all is in there.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2004
    Thats messed up. About the only time we change IPs is if we unplug everything or we lose power or reset the router.