Some Questions About Folding@Home...

MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
edited October 2004 in Folding@Home
first off, what the heck are WUs? and what about these frames?? what happens when it fills up completely??? and what are these atom things floating around??

Comments

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    To skim the surface... a WU stands for Work Unit and is the smallest unit of work you can download, finish, and send back. Frames are portions of the WU and they are shown to let you know how far you are on completing the WU, since they can take several hours to maybe a day or two. When it 'fills up' the WU is sent back to Stanford, you receive the points for it (based on how much crunching power that WU took - proportional to how much time you had to spend on it usually), and you download a new WU to begin working on. I haven't used the graphical program but I think the atoms, or rather the molecules, represent the proteins you're working on as a sort of cool visualization.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    coool...haha, im ranked dead last...out of like 38 million people haha
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited October 2004
    WU is short for work unit. Work units are the smaller pieces of the large problem that distributed computing tries to solve. One computer generally works on one work unit at a time.

Different types of work units work differently, and have a different number of frames. Most gromacs (SSE enabled) WUs hhave 100 frames, and Tinker (3DNow! enabled) have 400. Frames mark the progress through the WU. When every frame is complete, the WU is done.

The "atom things" is the protien the particular WU simulates creating.

You will rank pretty low in the starting time. Everyone says the first 1000 points are the hardest, and I agree, but stick with it, and add more computers, and before you know it you will be up around the rest of us. Some of our top producers have whole labs folding for them.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited October 2004
    I might want to start folding just to help out but once i'm set up do I need to do any work or is the process Automatic?
    edited October 2004
    WUs have 100 frames??? that doesnt make sense, since im 366 out of 2500 frames....

whole labs folding?! :eek::wtf:
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Some are bigger than others, more frames generally means more points ;):thumbsup:
    edited October 2004
    I might want to start folding just to help out but once i'm set up do I need to do any work or is the process Automatic?
    If you download the console version and type yes when it asks to install as a service, then it is fully automatic. It will sit in the background without you ever having to see it, and it will start up with windows. :thumbsup:
  • edited October 2004
    Mr TRiot wrote:
    coool...haha, im ranked dead last...out of like 38 million people haha

We all were ranked dead last at one point in time. Hang in there and you'll begin your climb out of the cellar. It can be quite fun keeping up with your stats. Many of us have friendly competitions within the team and we compete with other teams as well.
    edited October 2004
    TheGr81 wrote:
    If you download the console version and type yes when it asks to install as a service, then it is fully automatic. It will sit in the background without you ever having to see it, and it will start up with windows. :thumbsup:

Thanks, all I need help with is actually setting up.

I did download F@H a few months back and typed in the info into the 'Client' (the command prompt) but then I didn't know what to do (Image belows shows when I DL'ed F@H).

Could someone tell me what I need and how to do it so I can start please?
    Thanks
    edited October 2004
    Aren't there any other files there, or are they just cut off from the picture? Not that that really matters much. Just go to the downloads page and get the v5.02 text-only console (fourth from the top). Put that files in your FAH folder and run it and set it up the way you like, just be sure to type yes when it asks to install as a service. The next time you restart it will start up FAH when you boot to windows.

BTW, you should probably delete the files that are already there, because they may be from older versions, or the wu it was working on a few months ago is probably expired. Don't worry, it will download/create any files it needs when it needs them.
    edited October 2004
    TheGr81 wrote:
    Aren't there any other files there, or are they just cut off from the picture? Not that that really matters much. Just go to the downloads page and get the v5.02 text-only console (fourth from the top). Put that files in your FAH folder and run it and set it up the way you like, just be sure to type yes when it asks to install as a service. The next time you restart it will start up FAH when you boot to windows.

BTW, you should probably delete the files that are already there, because they may be from older versions, or the wu it was working on a few months ago is probably expired. Don't worry, it will download/create any files it needs when it needs them.

Thanks, you've made it easier :thumbsup: .

Just 1 more thing, will everything be done automatically without me having to do any knid of work?
    edited October 2004
    Hi, I'v downloaded v5.02 Text Only Client and I typed YES for the service but everything underneath that which was about Personal Info and internet stuff I typed NO - should I have done?

When I doulble-Clicked the file FAH502-Console.exe (for the 2nd time) it started showing ###### downloaded i.e 1756375 downlaoded or something like that. When I open the file it shows different Info.

Is there anything else I need to do? Have I done everything correctly? Please let me know...Thanks
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I started off very slow, trust me. It takes time. When I joined the team, I remember that Csimon had just broken 200,000 or something. I was in awe, thinking "I will never ever be able to get that many points" :eek3:
    edited October 2004
    Trogan: All you have to do is put your name in the name section, "93" as the team number, and "yes" as a service. You can answer default to the rest of the questions.
    edited October 2004
    Trogan: All you have to do is put your name in the name section, "93" as the team number, and "yes" as a service. You can answer default to the rest of the questions.

yeah, I typed my name as Trogan_1000 and wrote '93' for team. When you say Default do you mean leave the other Questions blank or answer NO coz' I answered NO.

Apart from that, Am I set up? I wont the Team93 logo and the thing in my Signature if possible.

Thanks
    edited October 2004
    Sounds like you're all set. Default means "Whatever the standard answer is", or just press enter without typing yes or no.

You have to wait a day or two until your name shows up on the rankings, and then you can get a folding sig.
    edited October 2004
    Sounds like you're all set. Default means "Whatever the standard answer is", or just press enter without typing yes or no.

You have to wait a day or two until your name shows up on the rankings, and then you can get a folding sig.

Thanks Prime - I'm all excited lol :p . This is my 1st time that i'v something like this.

I am only folding on 1 computer so I won't be climbing that high on the ranks and I doubt if i'l be able to fold on other computers.

Heres the folder with F@H - is that correct?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2004
    Looks good!
    edited October 2004
    edited October 2004
    I started off very slow, trust me. It takes time. When I joined the team, I remember that Csimon had just broken 200,000 or something. I was in awe, thinking "I will never ever be able to get that many points" :eek3:

doesnt Csimon have over a million now??
    edited October 2004
    Sure does. 1.2+ Million.
    edited October 2004
    well damn...200k is very different from 1.2 million.....I'll never get to a million :-(
    edited October 2004
    prime probably thought he'd never get csimon's 200,000 but he's approaching 700k now. I'd be happy to hit 100,000. I'm not quite at 30k yet though. And I'm doing most of this with one computer, with unreliable help from two slower P3's. Just stick with it, and possibly add a few more computers, and you'll be up with everyone else in no time. :thumbsup::)
    edited October 2004
    Stick with and the points will be pilling up before you know it.:)
  • TrinityTrinity UK
    edited October 2004
    Welcome to the Team :D:fold:
    edited October 2004
    heh, thanks for the welcome :P
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I've been folding for about 2.5 years with just one or two CPUs to my name. I took a few breaks when the temps got really hot, but the trick is persistence. Just keep at it :)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Ok ...if you're considering reconfiguring the console you may find this a little helpful.
    This is a screenshot of my command box showing a -configonly process. I've renamed the console for my own benefit since it makes things a lot easier when upgrading and completing most funtions on the multitude of the lab.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Keep in mind that most of the questions themselves actually change depending on how you answered previously ...the new question is bascially asking if you want to change from the current configuration so pay close attention and don't try to copy answers ...you won't be satisfied with the results! :scratch:;D