# CPU updated but not WU or Points WHY help

gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
edited October 2004 in Folding@Home
why won't my stats update from WU turned in via the laptop

i finshed 2 and it even uploded them, but the stats are not updated, other then the # of active CPU

the WU and points are not updated at all?

HELP

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    If that happened this weekend (or even Friday), it is possible the WUs came from Data server .143. This server is under heavy network load, has been all weekend, and WUs that were given out by it actually ended up on the collection server at IP .100 (last octet of net address). Now, the way points for WUs that are sent to a collection server and not back to the original assignment server (.143, possibly) are given is this:

1. Collection server gets WUs.

2. When the Data Server is able to get them from the Collection server, then (and not before then) points and WUs are shown in stats.

BUT, .143 has not been able to get them, it is too busy giving OUT WUs. The average number of simultaneous connects for .143 this weekend has been 180 simultaneous connects at once. How do I know this??? I've had one collected WU worth about 241 points sitting on the collection server since Friday at about 10:05 PM Pacific Time. The last time for WU turned in is right, but the points and WU count will not get corrected to actual until the Data Server gets the WU.

BTW, one of the Assignment servers is effectively hammering Data server .143 with client assignments, partly due to the fact that the clients give up while waiting for the clients in connect queue ahead of them to finish GETTING WUs. When the clients time out while waiting for work unit data to feed, they try again for same data server. So, the data server tries to talk to clients that have given up and then it has yet anohter connect further down the queue than ever from same client trying again. Yes, this is documented in the Folding Forums also.

By Monday AM I will have about 530 points waiting for Data Server .143 on the collection server at this rate.... I'll wait until Tuesday noon here to post about the points not being credited, on Folding Forum -- by totalling what was on the collection server before some of the WUs went to multiple data servers and what has been put onto it since, in server stats, the collection server collected over 20K WUs (in number of work units, not points) so far this weekend. Collection server is working as coded, but data server .143 is getting a huge network traffic load and is so busy handling network traffic it cannot process collected WUs right now. So, given problem is posted about, expect it to be fixed next week some time.

Expect a huge jump in points, maybe, come Monday miday or later or Tuesday morning or mid-day, Team 93. You're not at all alone in this, gibbonsl. Quite a few of us have same problem. No, I am not an admin, but I have seen what the folders at guru level are saying about .143 on folding's forums and have also been looking at the server stats page this weekend a lot to try and figure out what is up.

gibbonsl, if your points do not show up by late Tuesday, you might go to the main folding page, http://folding.stanford.edu/ and click on the Forum link over to left side, register for an id there if needed, and post about your missing points. You WILL get them, they just will be a bit delayed. BUT, I would give them until than simply because they are working on the way points get credited after WUs are collected to a collection server. For a while, I was getting: 2 WUs in number detail for every one collected, and one points credit, and two turnin times shown. I finally dug into my logs here, figured out my points were RIGHT, my detailed WU list was WRONG, and the total WUs was RIGHT-- except for what was still ON the collection server.

Only good thing about this is that they are aware of it and are working on the issue. BUT, most of them work Monday through Friday as far as server admin goes-- the servers are supposed to be able to fend for themselves over the weekend. .143 can't, this weekend. So it gets fixed during Monday or Tuesday. I'm not exactly happy about this either, but I can tell you some parts of WHY it is happening.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2004
    :thumbsup: thanks for the info

that is the server my laptop was using