Bios Problems

edited May 2005 in Hardware
I have a ASROCK K7VT4A+ motheboard, a PC2700 256mb ram, Western Digital 20gb hd, dvd rom, AMD XP 2600 cpu. My computer wont boot i have gotten it to boot before and installed xp pro along with other stuff but when i try to boot it other times it wont boot. everything is hooked up right and the jumpers are right but it wont boot

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited October 2004
    Reset the bios if that fails and no beep codes. Check the psu and cpu then if that fails too. :( Then send it back to asrock.
  • comfortablecomfortable Sugarland, TX
    edited October 2004
    Yeah, what kind of psu do you have?
  • edited November 2004
    Wixicup wrote:
    I have a ASROCK K7VT4A+ motheboard, a PC2700 256mb ram, Western Digital 20gb hd, dvd rom, AMD XP 2600 cpu. My computer wont boot i have gotten it to boot before and installed xp pro along with other stuff but when i try to boot it other times it wont boot. everything is hooked up right and the jumpers are right but it wont boot

Hi having exactly the same problem but not getting much joy in tracking down any info on the problem, using a 400watt PSU,ASROCK K7VT4A+, Sempron 2400+, 512MB PC3200 ddr, 60gb western digitali am going to use your qoute here as it applys to me as well to the letter "My computer wont boot i have gotten it to boot before and installed xp pro along with other stuff but when i try to boot it other times it wont boot. everything is hooked up right and the jumpers are right but it wont boot"

Regards

Richard
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited November 2004
    Does PC boot at all to post screen? Does it stop, BSOD, bail out at windows or no beep is heard at all?

Basic troubleshooting begins with

1) Clear the CMOS and set the BIOS to safe defaults.

Boot? YES? NO?

2) If no then disconnect all peripherals except for CD, hdd, floppy and video card. Physically pull any other devices.

If two sticks of RAM then pull one leaving one only in DIMM 1.

Clear the CMOS and set the BIOS to safe defaults.

Boot? YES? NO?

3) NO? Move single stick of RAM to DIMM 4 (Or 3 if that's all you have) and try.

4) NO? Try other stick of RAM in DIMM 1 and then DIMM 4 (or 3)

If sytem will boot with one stick but not the other...or neither then possible culprit is RAM.

If system won't boot at all then check to make sure both power leads are connected to motherboard if there are connections for them. If still now then possible culprit is PSU or, worst case, motherboard has totally failed.
  • edited November 2004
    I have aready tried that it has my dad stumped too and he used to work at gateway as a tech and i have tried that and it doenst work
  • pokesquid808pokesquid808 SO CAL
    edited November 2004
    did you move the computer around before the problem started? how is the board mounted in the case? make sure there are no extra metal studs sticking out of the case. only use what you need to screw the board in. a friend of mine had that same problem where one day it just didn't turn on. ended up being one extra stud that he never bothered to take out. make sure the screws aren't overly tight too, that can short the board. if you can, use the plastic mounting brackets. another way is to take the mobo out of the case completely. just have the cpu, memory, vga. then plug it in and touch pins 1&2 on the board to start it. you can put the board on your mobo box or something like that.
  • edited December 2004
    I am having the same problem
    had the same issue before with the asrock k7s8x,
    the only difference was that the k7s8x never even showed a thing.

i have not succeeded to find a solution, the only way for me was to buy a new mobo...
    the only actual reason why i buy asrock is that it's msi price for asus quality
    except for these things, because this looks pretty much like msi quality

Hope to find a real solution soon...

cheers
  • edited December 2004
    i think asus motherboards are just fubar
  • edited May 2005
    Wixicup wrote:

I had the same problem. It drove me mad for ages! Eventually I found that the problem was that XP was misreading my DVDROM because it was a dual layer. My DVDROM was MSI. Eventually I got the latest XP driver from Micro Tech, installed it. Problem solved!!
    m.staten