new pc specs, pls advise!

RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
edited October 2004 in Hardware
hey guys,

well ive been pretty much out of the pc-building scene for quite some time.. pretty outdated by now. A friend just asked for help on a recommendation on a basic pc for home use, and i was wondering whether this is a suitable set of specifications.

AMD Sempron 2600+
ABIT NF7 / nForce2 / 400FSB / Dual DDR
256MB Corsair DDR 400 x2
80GB Western Digital / 7200/ 8MB
Power Colour Radeon 9600XT
Lite-ON CD-RW + 16 DVD combo drive
15.1” Samsung 510N LCD
Altec Lansing 4121 / 3pcs
Logitech keyboard + optical mouse
Computer case 400W

i passed out on the nf7s as i didnt need kickass sound or the 1394 connection.. his budget was around 790usd and this whole set comes near to 880usd already.. oh well :)
if you guys have any comments on this system theyd be greatly appreciated!

thanks.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Is he a gamer?
  • edited October 2004
    Dump the high dollar lcd and get a 17 or 19" crt and spend the extra bucks on a better video card if he games.
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2004
    sempron 2600+? cant you get your hands on a 2500+ barton?
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    nah he isnt but i reckon his kids play games... and he specifically wanted the LCD screen so i added that in.

whats the difference between the sempron and barton? isnt the sempron more recent and better than the barton?

ohh yeah and i have to run the system at a 333FSB if i werent overclocking right? because the sempron runs at 333mhz..?
  • edited October 2004
    Riddick, the Sempron is simply a Tbred B proc that has been relabled and is running on a 166 fsb and only has 256k of L2 cache. As you know, Bartons also run on either a 166 or 200 fsb and have 512k of L2 cache and will give you 3-10% better performance than an identically clocked Sempron.
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    :eek: aiks.. now why would AMD want to do something like that... ... ?

well one other thing i dont understand is why 200FSB mobos and ram (ddr400) are released in the first place if most of the amd chips are running at 166 FSB anyway... anyone can answer that?

aside from the barton/sempron issue, are there any other things i should look out for?
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited October 2004
    Instead of the Lite-On CDRW/DVD-Rom, grab a Samsung CDRW/DVD-Rom. I had 3 Lite-on CDRW/DVD combo drives and while they would read the CDs they made just fine, they had problems with disks made by other CDRW drives. I switched to the Samsung drives and haven't had a problem since.