If you had your choice! Canon or Epson photo printers?

edited November 2004 in Internet & Media
Looking to buy a new photo printer, I have heard that Canon ink tanks if not used 2 times a week they will start to dry up is this so?

I have been leaning toward the Canon Pixma i6000D photo printer, any thoughts?

What would be epsons equivalent, would you recommend it over the Canon?

Comments

• floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited October 2004
    In my limited experience of printers, I'd choose the Canon over the Epson. Have tried two Epson printers, both colour inkjets, both were awful.

I have a Canon S750 atm, it goes for days, weeks, sometimes without printing anything (mostly use a Samsung mono laser), haven't ever had a problem with dried up tanks.

Personally, I prefer Hewlett Packard printers, but that's not the issue here I suppose ;)
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I used to be an Epson fanboy, but the problem with them is that the print heads are on the printer, not the cartridge. So if they go, it's a new printer needed.

Canon used to be poo when I was in computer retail about 4 years ago (IMO). I hear they're good these days, but I'd go with Epson.

Personally, I'm now an HP man, and I find cartridge refills to be very effective.

~Cyrix
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Canon all the way. I have a canon i900D and the thing just makes absolutely astounding photos. It's fast, super quiet, and has 6 seperate ink tanks so that refills are cost-effective. I love this printer.

I made a post about it when I first got it.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I have an epson c62... I think. Either way it's been a good solid printer. Didn't care since it was only like 72 bucks if memory serves me right.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited October 2004
    I'm on my second Epson photo printer. I believe the cartridges are cheaper than cannons because the print head is on the printer. Also any ink jet printer has to be used to prevent the nozzles drying up. Mine is in a warm room and is sometimes not used for several weeks but rarely needs cleaning. I'd have another Epson in a flash.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I own a Canon i850, and my family has a Canon i900. They're gorgeous printers. The quality is amazing! Small print (Size 8 font) prints razor sharp even on draft mode.

Between the two printers, I have not found the drying ink claim to be remotely accurate. In fact, my printer sat on a shelf for a month when I got to college, and it worked fine when I hooked it up.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2004
    I loved my Epson C82.

Before it turned on me...

Warranty: One Year
    Died: One Year, Two Weeks

Their warranty department told me to go take a flying jump at myself. If I thought it would have helped, I would have done so. :bawling:

No personal experience with Canon.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    The OLDER Canons used inks that DID dry up in the heads (this in the days of the BJ4200 series, been using Epsons ever since I owned that thing and got tired of buying priont heads for it). So did the Epsons. With the C84 and up series, the printers now have head covers that keep the ink from drying out for a long time when the printer is not used. I am using third party ink with my Epson now, mostly.

IF you need high-res photo printing, I have better results with my Epson C84 than with any printer I have ever owned, including my C80 whihc is now retired. That printer decided it only liked printing on THICK paper, the C84 has a better feed mechanism, as does its new replacement, the C86.

Look at pricing where you are, for the Epson C86 and the photos if you need that grade. The C86 is a silly US $80.00 or so after rebate (seen it for as little as $70.00 after rebate) and it is quite decent for both normal ink jet prining and photo output as it does a 4-pass overlapped pass photo printing at 2880x720 bands. The bands MESH right, no gaps, and in fact it blends color well, as well as the C84 and it is a bit faster than the C84. Its also a higher-end CONSUMER GENERAL PLUS Photo printer. Recommended, though Canons also are generally better quality these days than they WERE. I have not ever changed a print head in either my Epson C80 nor my Epson C84. Ink is economical from third parties now for the C84, have not seen any C86 third party ink yet (and it DOES take different cartridges than the C84). I've also been able to calibrate the Epsons better for color than the Canons, unless you have a Canon digital camera also. I have an Olympus, and can get very true to what I see on screen as far coloring in print also, which is NOT an easy thing to always get.

I'm not saying not Canon, but am saying look at Epson seriously also.
  • edited November 2004
    Canon all the way. I have a canon i900D and the thing just makes absolutely astounding photos. It's fast, super quiet, and has 6 seperate ink tanks so that refills are cost-effective. I love this printer.

I made a post about it when I first got it.

Would you recommend the i900D over the i6000D?
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited November 2004
    Ive had a canon it sucked. It would sometimes load paper, sometimes not, sometimes load 5 pages at same time it was horriable (and that was out of the box) I have a epson R200 and i use it for pictures from my camera and it is awesome (and only $100) Also everyone Ive ever talked to has always been happy with thier epson printers, there R series are the best for photos (R200, R300, R300M all are same print quality just adds on a lcd to see pics and card reader)
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited November 2004
    ive had no problems with cannon or epson
    personaly i use cannon because the heads replaceable :D