p854- so slow and low on points

CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
edited November 2004 in Folding@Home
This wretched protein p854_p53dimer854 is driving me to distraction :grr:
I've been getting it for over a month now and it's really slow on non SSE enabled processors. i.e

Barton XP2500 @ 2125MHz frame time 23:10 WU time = 38.6 hours
TBird 1200 @ 1350 MHz frame time 1:22:04 WU time = 136 hours
TBird 800 @ 880 MHz frame time 2:27:48 WU time = 246 hours :eek:

All this for 155 points :(

There is a thread on the Stanford site complaining of this here and the reaction seems to be "well what do you expect if you haven't got SSE enabled" :scratch:

Does that mean that older CPUs are now at a disadvantage, is it worth keeping them going?

I'm ashamed to say that I've dumped a couple of these proteins when they arrived on my old CPUs but I got another one straight away :grr: so I'm sticking with it. :(

[/whinge]

OK what can I do about it :)

What's the procedure for taking these WUs off my elderly rigs at home and getting them on to my marvellous Dell ( super reliable and loves nasty WUs) at work.

Cheers

Crypto :D

:smokin:

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2004
    Copying the entire FAH folder would be best. Even if you have a normal FAH folder for the dell and another for the ones from home.

You can try getting WUs without deadlines.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    I am still running one Tbird, and I dump units from time to time. If I could get tinkers on it, even huge ones, it would be fine. But the big gros kill it.
    On the otherhand you should see my 750P3 run a big tink, that takes a while.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2004
    Oh yeah, these things are killing me too. And my Barton rig has dropped 2 of them right in the middle and started over. It just did it again this morning. Aaaaaarghh!!!! 3 out of 4 of my machines have been hit with this scourge. I'm getting wwwwwaaaayyyyyy more than my fair share of them. I shoulda posted 3 more WU's this morning but only got 1.

:confused::scratch: :shakehead :bawling: