Dell laptop won't start

jipjip
edited June 2008 in Hardware
Dell laptop Latitude Cpi D266XT won't start. Only the 3 LEDS for numloc, capslock and shift are green, together whith poweron LED. HD-led and power-load-led are not "on".
When powering-on, above LED's turn into green, you can hear a tick, leds go out and on again, together with tick. And so on and on. Powering off only possible by unplugging battery.
Checked HD in other laptop. HD is OK.
Other equal laptop also sounds HD-starting. This is not the case with laptop in error.
What could be cause of not starting?

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    From my experience with laptops, Id say that sounds like a major component (eg.. motherboard or LCD) has died :(
  • jipjip
    edited November 2004
    A collegue has some experience with these kind of laptops, and with this type of laptop it is possible to bypass a broken screen by attaching a normal external monitor. This I did, but still no reaction.
    Your other suggestion is motherboard could be broken. How can I determine this?
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    You did press the func key to make sure it sent output to the monitor??? :)

As far as I am aware, there is no easy way to detect a dead motherboard on a laptop. Unless you want to take it to pieces. Im assuming it's not in warranty with DELL anymore by some time...
  • jipjip
    edited November 2004
    Yes I did activate external monitor but without success.
    And yes, laptop is out of support/guarrantee. :bawling:
    What wanders me, is that not even harddisk is starting. In normal functioning laptop, the harddisk starts as soon as power is on. Harddisk is however tested and proven OK in other laptop. I indeed suspect motherboard (or BIOS?).
    Again, how to determine what component? :confused:
  • edited June 2008
    HI I got the same problem has you, does anyone know what to do?