Adding another client to F@H

comfortablecomfortable Sugarland, TX
edited November 2004 in Folding@Home
I was recently given a cheap vid card- thus making my near-complete rig complete. It's a 2500+XP proc + 1gB ram + 80gB hdd, and I'm debating b/w installing a Linux or Windows O/S. I'll probably end up choosing the former, since it won't be doing much besides fileserving and folding.

If any of you Linux gurus have any recommendations, feel free to comment on any distros. (I'm working on reducing the # of times I use 'any' in a single sentence.)

Okay, here are a few questions before I get started:

Are there are any disadvantages in folding with the Linux console client? (compared to the Windows version.)

Also, how do I go about assigning it under my name?

Both my work machine and my new rig will be part of a home network (net -> router -> pcs.) Will there be any perceivable conflicts in this scenario?

Also, seeing as how I only have one monitor, how do I go about communicating with the folding rig? Are there any other protocols besides ssh that I should investigate?

Cheers, and thanks for your time.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    In the past, the Linux client was supposedly slightly slower than the Windows client, but I'm not sure if that's true any more. Perhaps some Linux users could shed some light on this.

I don't know how to assign the client to your name under Linux, but it can't be TOO different from the console version.

No, there won't be any conflict running multiple clients behind one router.

Communication with the other PC is your perogative, but there are both Linux and Windows versions of VNC (Is that SSH-based?) that would work well to provide access to the other PC's desktop.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2004
    I would use VNC as well. It works pretty well for me. I use RealVNC and it does have a Linux version.
  • Lord_NightLord_Night Piqua Ohio
    edited November 2004
    Xandros, I have 2 boxes runnign ti at home, works great, folds wonderfully, online install selection, and updates,

Nice prog
  • comfortablecomfortable Sugarland, TX
    edited November 2004
    Sorry to bump an older thread, but I have a couple of more questions:

Lord_Night (or any other Linux F@H'ers,) how do you go about monitoring the progress of the folding client? I'm warming up to EMIII's aesthetic appeal (with the Short-media skin, of course,) and it'd be great if Linux had a similar app.

Also, are there any guides on how to use Vnc (preferably Tight) with Xorg?
    edit: Nevermind, Xvnc thru ssh-tunnel is working perfectly now.

Thanks again.