Free Goodies

TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
edited June 2005 in Hardware
man I'm going to miss this stuff. Had lots of connections here to get free goodies. Gonna be gone gone gone when I move though.

here is some shots of the newst toy.

A breece Hill DLT tape library, Holds 28 DLT tapes and has two tape drives... a robotic tape library that switchs tape swehen its full. I bet thsi suckewr cost 12 to 15 grand new.

Free, Free, Free.....

Tex

Comments

• dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited November 2004
    That's right........rub it in, hehe. ;D;D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    DAMN!

Most people probably have no idea, but that thing is VERY valuable :D
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited November 2004
    Dumb butts had it with a bunch of old graphics workstations and were going to PAY to have someone haul it off. Works perfect.

Tex
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited November 2004
    I guess this makes me a newb.... What is it? Storage for a network?
    edited November 2004
    Last generation of Enterprise level backup solutions. Its a robot that feeds like 28 differant DLT tapes into two DLT tape drives. It reads the bar coded labels to know which tape is which even.

Don't feel bad the majority (not all by any means but the majority) of posters have probably never seen one either.

Tex
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Those DLT databanks are CRAZY! Our school district used a few of them to maintain backups of network and client settings. I got to see and handle a few my senior year. They're cool.
    edited November 2004
    It's crazy to get a phone call saying " Hey you want one these things?" They got one in the junk pile to get rid of and the IT guys says it worked perfect when pulled?

Now THATS crazy. You guys have no idea how many big companies PAY SOMEONE to haul this stuff off.

its the sh*tz I tell ya

Tex
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    I really want one of those ;D

Damn nice!

I expect you to be hooked up with free stuff in Colarado in approximately 1.233029309093 ms of your arrival though mate :cool:
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    as cool as that is, i know id end up using it to put my drink on. sweet deal though! gj
    edited November 2004
    Shorty wrote:
    I really want one of those ;D

Damn nice!

I expect you to be hooked up with free stuff in Colarado in approximately 1.233029309093 ms of your arrival though mate :cool:

Naw not likely. Remember how old I am and how long I been in the DFW area. I got kids I trained running departments now for Gawds sake. (grin)

Tex
    edited November 2004
    Between the two 19" racks of equipement am moving I debated having the gas turned off for the furnace in Colorado as I figure I could heat the SOB from just the computers and gear alone at this point.

Sad but Oh soooooo true.

Tex
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    yeah, i have a friend thats the network admin up at the hospital here in enid, and they have two tape banks but they are a little bit bigger, and new and he said the cost $$$$ a piece. and thats not even counting the tapes that cost like $70 a piece. They keep all the medical records on those, theyre pretty neat to watch, but i dont think i need one.....an our school is to poor to afford one so theyjust have a single tape dirve in there server with a couple of tapes....
    edited June 2005
    your school needs more backup tapes. One for each day of the week and at the minimum each friday of the month and one for each month end.

Look on eBay.

You can buy $50 used tapes on eBay for $4.

Tex
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    my school just has a tape for every other day, (mon,wed,fri) and thats it. but really dont see why they backup, they dont keep grades on the servers anyway, (ive checked) I borrowed an admins password, the techs are so dumb, i was sittin right there when he typed in admin / XXXXX i was like OMFG ;D chukling to myself, but there isnt anything good on the servers anyway, just a circulation desk program for the library and so various files...not much more and not much to keep backed up.