I think folding is crashing my machine

WeedoWeedo New
edited November 2004 in Folding@Home
I have a Barton rig with Win98 on it that keeps crashing in the middle of a work unit and then it restarts the WU. P854Dimers is what it keeps getting. It's done it several times now. It's killing me.

This is not my main rig but one that is mostly for folding. I do use it a little bit for other stuff though.

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited November 2004
    step 1) open case
    step 2) get compressed air
    step 3) blow the CRAP out of everything in there, maybe also reapply AS5 and reseat HSF
    step 4) if that doesn't fix it, memtest (but the other steps are a good precaution anyway)
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2004
    I've reexamined my cooling situation, made a change, and we'll see what happens.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2004
    Is the WU just restarting or is your computer actually crashing?

For one you are on Win98.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2004
    It spontaneously reboots. Then when it restarts the WU starts over, or it downloads another one (always that p854Dimer). When I look at the log I can see where it ended partway through.

I hated to buy yet another copy of XP just to run folding. Already running XP on 2 of my rigs.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2004
    What are the temps?
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited November 2004
    Weedo wrote:
    It spontaneously reboots. Then when it restarts the WU starts over, or it downloads another one (always that p854Dimer). When I look at the log I can see where it ended partway through.

I hated to buy yet another copy of XP just to run folding. Already running XP on 2 of my rigs.
    After doing all of the above - I would do a clean install of Win 98 if your still having problems. I hope with that rig your using Fah4 and not 5.2!! I still have one box in the basement folding on 98 SE and I have no problems. ;D One other suggestion - Go find/buy a copy of Win 2K. I just built a new Barton 2800+ box yesterday and that's my favorite OS and that is a sweet combination with 1 gig DDR PC2700 and another DVD burner. ;) Jack
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2004
    The battery went dead on my thermal probe. Don't know what it had been running. I replaced it and put a higher cfm fan on the processor, now it's running 50.4c. That should be good, if that was the problem. It's now 12% of the way through one of those p854's again. If it complete's it I'll consider the problem solved. If not then maybe it is my OS. I have a copy of Win2k so I might try it next.

It was burning through the WU's for a while there. I was just about to declare Jihad on EyesOnly and Bothered until this happened. :D