Gigabyte Vs MSI

edited April 2007 in Hardware
Ok, I heard a few bad things about the MSI NEO 2 Platinum Mobo, Which Ive also heard a lot of good stuff about, Now im stuck in a bad position cause I recently Bought the Asus K8N-E Deluxe Mobo with the AMD 2800+. Im happy with that but Im gonna go further so Im getting the AMD 3000+ 90nm Winchester, I hear its the Best 939 pin For OverClocking. But do I go with the

GIGABYTE "GA-K8NSNXP-939" nForce3 Ultra Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL?

or

MSI "K8N Neo2 Platinum" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL

What have you had better experiances with, Now to be honest I love Asus and I always stuck with them, but I hear there not that great for over-clocking comnpared to the MSI, What should I do, Please Give me some advice on this.

Or last should I just Stick with Asus causeof my Great Experiance with them.

Comments

• MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited November 2004
    Gigabyte reviewage here

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=248

I also have the MSI board. 6 of one...half dozen of the other. Feature differences but both have been equal for performance and stability in my experience.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    I have heard some REAL horror stories about the Gigabyte. I have the NEO2 as well. It also has it's quirks, but it runs solid when you get it worked out.

Memory is it's biggest issue. It likes low latentcy RAM. I jsut bought some new Patriot RAM from NewEgg that runs 2-2-5-2-1T with aggresive optimized timings and still OC at default Voltages. $187 for 2x512.

A little advice on the NEO. Setting AGP speed to 67 in the bios activates the bus locks. SATA 1 and 2 do not lock so install using SATA 3&4 if you plan on OC above 220.

Also use the Nvida gigabit ethernet and turn off the other one.

You'll like the NEO2
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited November 2004
    I've gone through a lot of Gigabyte boards. I haven't had a problem with any of them really. None have exhibited any strange quirks and my Gigabyte duallie has been chugging along for over a year.

I have, however, heard a lot of horror stories about the PROMISE onboard controller and SATA...but that's PROMISE and SI..not the motherboard manufacturer.
  • W4R-H1LDW4R-H1LD Chesterfield VA
    edited February 2005
    Missileman wrote:

A little advice on the NEO. Setting AGP speed to 67 in the bios activates the bus locks.
    I just purchased the Msi Neo 2 and Ive been using the 66 they have in the bios, question being at 66 setting is this not locking it down? If not thank you for the info, will put to 67 if this is the case :thumbsup:
  • edited April 2007
    I have to decide between a Gygabyte GAM55SLI-54 and a MSI K9N4 Ultra-F.. could someone help me with this issue..

thanks
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2007
    Please post any suggestions in this thread they made:
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56101