Two beeps then shutdown

pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
edited January 2005 in Hardware
Subject says it all. Brand new system, was running perfectly last night, then sometime while I slept it shut down. Woke up, tried to start it up and it starts to boot, I can hear and feel the HDD spinning up, then I get two beeps, the HDD and DVD drive stop spinning then a few seconds later it shuts down. I really need this system right now, has my info for class registration on it.

Specs:

- Lian-Li Silver ATX Mid Tower Case, Model "PC-V1000"
- AMD Athlon 64 3800+, Socket 939, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor
- ABIT "AV8" K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 939 CPU
- OCZ PowerStream 420W Power Supply With Adjustable Power Rails With LED Indicators, SATA Connector, Model "OCZ420ADJ"
- PowerColor ATI RADEON X800 XT Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, DVI/VIVO, 8X AGP
- Vantec "ThermoFlow" Double Ball Bearing Case fan with Temp Sensor
- Thermalright Heatsink for P4 & K8 CPUs, Model "XP-90"
- NEC 1.44MB Black Internal Floppy Drive
- Lite-On 12X DVD+/-RW Drive, Model SOHW-1213S
- Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD1600JD
- OCZ Enhanced Latency Series Dual Channel Kits 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited November 2004
    reset cmos, try
    reseat ram, try
    reseat cpu, try
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited November 2004
    BIOS BEEP CODES per bios chip

AMI (American Megatrends') BIOS
    two short - Memory Parity Error in first 64KB block (check memory)

AST Research BIOS
    two short - Clearing keyboard controller buffers failed (POST 2)

Award BIOS
    two short - Non-Fatal Error (reseat RAM, check other components)

Phoenix BIOS
    not listed.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    I have already tried resetting and reseating everything. Even tried taking the battery out for a bit. Nothing has worked. Tried booting with one stick of RAM and all devices unplugged. Once again, nothing.

It is an Award BIOS and the beep code I am getting is long-short.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited November 2004
    It appears that AWARD is the most nebulous of the bunch. Not much is reliable as far as beep codes. 1 long and 2 short is a video card error and the rest...they say...is memory related.
    edited November 2004
    Great, just great. The system was running perfectly until this happened, not even a slow down. Sigh.
  • Access_DeniedAccess_Denied tennessee
    edited November 2004
    did you try one stick of RAM then the other?
    edited November 2004
    Yup, already tried doing that.
  • edited November 2004
    :) 1)try unplug the modem and network card then start ur pc.(if u had a modem install). unplug the all the ide cable.
    :) 2)clean all the gold fingers on ur ram card then slot it back. see works or not.
    :) 3)if dont unplug ur ram card and everything(include the hdd ide cable). see whether the beep sound still sound normal or not.
    4)ask other person... :D
    edited January 2005
    Finally, after nearly a month I found out it was the PSU. I'm pissed, that was an expensive power supply and that motherboard ate it for breakfast. I put the PSU in my "main" system (Abit NF7-s, xp2500 @ 2200, 1gig OCZ pc3200, radeon 9800 pro 128meg) and the system would barely get to windows then crash. I took that PSU out and put the old 350w I had back in and it booted fine but said that a video card problem caused the crash, sounds like not enough power either to the AGP slot or on the 12v lines.

The two beeps then a shutdown on the Abit AV8 was an error for "failed overclocking" according to the tech I talked to. He said it also means that not enough power is getting to the CPU, which once again points to the PSU.

I now have an Antec 480w in the xp3800 system and it works fine, regardless of what may have been said about Antec PSUs being iffy with the Abit AV8. Not a hitch other than me accidently unplugging the SATA cable during a Windows update (DOH!). I guess I really should leave the case closed once I finish installing something in it.
  • edited January 2005
    Yet another case of "Antec PSU solved the problem"

I can vouch.