Server Stats update thread, for Folding @ Stanford.

Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own wayNaples, FL Icrontian
edited November 2004 in Folding@Home
Soemthing has come to my notice that I think needs passing on:

The servers that Folding has been having problems with are now on the medical netowrk at Stanford. The ones that basicly are there and working are on the university main network.

As of about 15 minutes ago, Vijay Pande put up a post saying that the medical network is down and he is waiting for word from the med network IT crew. Same pattern of failure on stats page as on my FYI thread with date in topic, and I cannot chenge thread topics or merge threads so I simply am starting a new thread with a generic Server Stats title so folks can see those in one thread instead of many given thta this is appearing to be a continuing problem.

Right now, per the server stats page at Folding's main website, a whole bunch of data servers that are on the medical network are UP as far as server function stats(insofar as server function itself, not including network comm ability), but DOWN as far as comm to other folding servers. This has been so for 6 hours, and med network IT folks are working on the problem. BUT, off and on, these SAME servers lose comm to teh parts of folding that are ont eh university network. Yes, I know this needs to be in Folding's Forum and it already is, I posted there first (as jdii1215)-- and did so in much more detail-- in a thread Vijay started.

Essentially, clients ARE getting mroe work, and WILL turn in the work when servers come back onto the network (the servers themselves are up, the network routing is fubarred or broken somewhere). Unfortunately, one of the servers that is down only insofar as network comm goes, is the collections server. The collections server is used for taking WUs when data servers are down, and a whole subnet of data servers(these are on the medical network at Stanford) is ALSO incommunicado with the web and with the uni net part of folding right now.

Those servers will be getting a huge bunch of completed WU inflow when they come back into comm with the world, if my client's stauts is anything like par for the course: I have three WUS complete and my clients cannot get into comm with the collections server or the data servers that gave them the WUs to work on.

Get ready for a huge "pumped and sudden" points increase surge, folks, from many clients that have one or more WUs waiting to be turned in in many places and boxes for our team and others-- thus, I would expect a huge points spike later today or tomorrow or the next day for individuals and teams as WUs get back to these incommunicado data servers and points then percollate into data updates.

With two boxes, I have about 4-700 points (two large WUs and one small WU complete now, two more folding of which one is a smaller one and one a large point WU) that will hit when the servers start being able to get the WU turnin flow again(exact amount depends on When the servers are again talking to the web and AS servers so they can accept turnins). I am hoping later today these servers will be back online, myself, but we will have to wait and let Stanford's "Med Net" IT folks fix the problem and that could go into tomorrow or later possibly (I am hoping that 'much later' is NOT gonna happen).