Network traffic from F@H

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited November 2004 in Folding@Home
Anyone want to venture a guess how much network traffic / day an average F@H client produces on a P4 or G4? I'm in a strong position to propose putting F@H on 15 P4s and 8 G4s where I work soon, but I need to confirm a total for the traffic that would produce because last I heard that was the primary concern with a previous proposal.

Thanks

Comments

• MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited November 2004
    You mean internet traffic? The network should be fine as it's probably much faster than the internet connection... (Right?? :wtf: )

With just 3 clients at my house, it doesn't happen all that often, but when they upload WUs, I notice some slowdown in my internet connection, but that may just be because I have a relatively slow connention for broadband. (30 kb/s up 130kb/s down)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    All the internet traffic crosses the network, so it's a moot point. I should clarify this is a college network I'm talking about, and it's stretched rather thin as it is. I won't be able to get away with any significant additional strain on it. Any size numbers would be greatly appreciated :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2004
    Well the cores are like a meg download each min. And I think some of the WUs may be 1mb up. Dont set it to big WUs because are truely big. If you look at the log file it will say how much the up and down will be. Then you can always watch your traffic when one sends and recieves.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2004
    Do your network admins monitor usage? You might propose adding one machine at a time to see what the impact will be without risking a sudden hit on the network if it proves too much.

Besides, once you get the camel's nose under the tent you're halfway there. :cool:
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    You could try monitoring on your PC first with NetLimiter.
  • Lord_NightLord_Night Piqua Ohio
    edited November 2004
    Keebler:

I have 4 machines at home running it. I do like TheGr81 notice some slow down. but again, I have cable There.
    I now have 3 machines (I had only 1) at work running it on T1 soon to be T3 and havent seen any kind of slow down.
    am finding it hard to let my boss let me add all 300 machines to the team. but he is letting me add a few as long as it does not effect the bandwidth to bad.
    so I have to run them watch and report then I may be able add another later on.

eve going from 1 to 3 I didnt notice a drop, but it has only been runign for one day so I will see more later on.