Question on multiple computers for folding

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited November 2004 in Folding@Home
I wanted to find out if the internet connection is constantly being used during folding, or does the folding program download a work unit, fold it until it's all done, then send the results back to Stanford or wherever?

Because my laptop is laying around and I could put it to work, but I only have one IP address on my cable modem and am too cheap to buy a router or pay $4.95 a month for a second IP address on my line.

And if the internet connection is not always being used, can I download a work unit and then disconnect the computer from the internet? And then AFTER the folding project is done, reconnect it and it sends its results over the internet to wherever?

Comments

• edited November 2004
    It only uses the connection when it downloads a wu and send the results back to stanford. The only other time it connects is when it needs a new core, which is quite rare. You could monitor the progress of both and leave the one connected that is closest (time-wise) to completion to ensure that both are constantly folding. There are other ways of accomplishing this but I believe that would be the easiest. I recommend Electron Microscope (www.em-dc.com), it's a free download and consumes very little system resources. It'll monitor the progress and will compile the stats of both your machines. It'll give you a give estimation of the time it'll take for the wu to complete.

KingFish
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Tim wrote:
    Okay, here's another question.

If I installed the Windows text only version (4.00 or 5.02) on a computer and set it to run automatically, would it show that little cog symbol in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen? I could install folding on some other computers for Team 93, but the person who owns them wouldn't want extra icons appearing.

Is there a way to make the cog icon NOT appear if 4.00 or 5.02 do show it?

As long as you have their permission, you can download the console version of 5.02. It has a built in feature to let it run as a service, meaning no icon.