My first WU is done, SM down to #13.

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited November 2004 in Folding@Home
I got my first work unit done! Whoopty-do, right? Well, I'm happy to be on the list. I entered at #645 out of 1112 members.

My work unit has a certificate for 200 points, but there are 235 showing on my account. Why is this?

I let my Dell Latitude P2 366 XP Home 192 MB SDRAM laptop work on a project for over a day but took it off. It was a 2500 frame Gromac core, and it was going around 28-30 minutes per frame at 100% processor load. It would've taken 51 days to complete. I had the laptop sitting out on the window ledge held in by the window screen in 45 degree air to help keep it cool!

I was considering putting it in the refrigerator (38 degrees)! I'm single and can do things like putting a laptop computer in my refrigerator with no one complaining. ;D

I may reload it and try to get a smaller work unit. But I think that just depends on what I'm assigned.

So was it my laptop only, or is a P2 366 just a lousy choice for folding? Are high speed processors needed?

My desktop is working on my second WU now, and it'll be done this afternoon. It's a smaller 1000 unit GROMAC averaging 29 seconds per frame, compared to the 1 minute 30 seconds per frame in my first 2500 frame GROMAC unit.

And I checked my stats today and saw that Short Media Team 93 has dropped to #13. We need to get some more college computer labs working on this.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    51 days sounds about right for a p2/366... Folding uses only raw processing speed. Things like fast HDs, high FSBs, a lot of memory, etc, don't really do much for folding.

Don't worry about it too much. I have several P2/333 and P2/400 machines folding for me. They take a long time (month per WU sometimes), but in the end, it all adds up.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2004
    I wouldnt recommend putting a computer in the fridge because of the moisture.

What was the WU type. Like each has a pXXXX where the X's are numbers.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2004
    Tim wrote:
    ...My work unit has a certificate for 200 points, but there are 235 showing on my account. Why is this?...
    They award the certificates for round numbers. It just means you've reached or passed that point. It would be like awarding Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth and Barry Bonds a certificate for 700 Home Runs. :)

Congrats, Tim. Watch the Notable Milestones Forum. Your name will be popping up there on a regular basis once you hit 1,000 points.

Glad to have you as a teammate. :):fold:
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    The work unit currently on the laptop is p1407_Q44 in water, Gromac core.

It has 111 out of 2500 units done at 100% processor load, averaging 34 minutes per frame. Estimated completion date right now is January 19th (56 days).

I tried deleting the whole folding program (even from add/remove programs) and reinstalling it 3 times in hopes of getting a smaller WU to do, but it gives me the same one over and over, and even remembers where I left off. :confused:

I tried leaving the laptop on the window sill in 40 degree weather, but parts of it underneath were still getting hot. So into the refrigerator it went. Before I put it in, I put an old weather station in there for a while. I set it to 38 degrees, and it was showing 50% humidity compared to 70% in the apartment.

I should mention that I tend to buy things one day at a time, and the refrigerator is COMPLETELY EMPTY except for the laptop, a box of baking soda, and an ice cube tray with water in it so I can tell if it goes below freezing. And an old thermometer. With cool air on all sides of it, the laptop runs cooler now! :thumbsup:
  • comfortablecomfortable Sugarland, TX
    edited November 2004
    Man, you better watch out for condensation. If it's your primary machine, don't even attempt it.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2004
    Like they say, 'size doesn't matter'. You get small, low point WUs or large, high point WUs. The time\point thing is around the same. Just let it run and ignor it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Tim, definitely shut that thing off and pull out the battery before you take it out of the fridge. Water will condense on the inside and you will fry your laptop entirely.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    The moisture that we worry about is the condensation that will form when you take it out of the fridg.
    If you don't use this computer for other stuff you can leave it in there forever and it will be happy.
    The fact that it reloaded the same work unit tells me that you didn't deleat the enitre folder. The queue and unitinfo need to go also.
    But don't worry, just fold.

If you think that you want to start folding faster, maybe building a dedicated folding box, it is easy. Just let us know and we'll offer lots of advice.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Advice? Okay. Where do I get the extra cash to build one?

I actually have some parts. Well, one part. A DFI AZ30-TL motherboard that was to be a replacement for someone's EMachines computer until they fixed it without installing the motherboard. It's a 200/266 FSB and takes AMD Athlon processors. Socket A / 462.

I can get a case and power supply cheap, but I need a stick of memory, a fast processor and heat sink / fan, and a small hard drive to get it running. Then I actually could have it running for folding all on its own. I'd hook up my keyboard, mouse, and monitor to get it set up, then just let it go.

Anyone want to donate some parts? I might be able to come up with a few bucks, but things are pretty tight right now.

And would folding speed be affected by the operating system? I could install XP Home, 98, or Knoppix 3.6 from a bootable CD.

The laptop is still in the refrigerator at 36 degrees and folding away, albeit slowly. I don't use it for much else these days, so it might as well fold. I'm up to 160 frames of its 2500 frame Gromac core now. ETA 56 days.

I'll be careful of the condensation when it comes time to take it out of the refrigerator.