Some of you must remember the good ol' ECS K7S5A?

Jammin1911Jammin1911 Icrontian
edited November 2004 in Hardware
I'm hoping someone does :)

I've got an ECS K7S5A (non-pro) and and 1600+ here. I'm wondering what is the fastest cpu I can throw in it.

I'm positive that its either AthlonXP 2400+ or 2600+ but I can't remember which. I'm also pretty sure it has to be non-barton, sempron, etc...

Does anyone know (or know where to find) this info? Google has failed me :(

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    This says 2600+ Tbred but that's probably cause it hasn't been updated. The Athlon XP-M 3000+ (2.2ghz) probably works well.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Go read the BIOS revision information, you newbie!
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited November 2004
    http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/k7s5a.html
    AMI® BIOS. Support AMD Athlon XP 2400+ and 2600+ CPU
    I imagine you'll be limited to Thoroughbred's because of the 266FSB cap. So no Barton's or Sempron's.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2004
    I've no idea but I have one running in the kids PC. That only has my old 1.4 Thunderbird in it.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    The 2600+ T'Bred-B came in 2 flavors in the beginning , a 133(266) fsb part @ 2.2 Gig and a 166(333) fsb part @ 2.02 Gig. So since the K7S5A will only run @ 133(266) fsb you would only be able to run the old 2.2 Gig chip and certainly not a 2600+ Barton. Hell, I just remembered I have 2 pros and 1 NP K7S5A sitting in the closet. :scratch:
  • Jammin1911Jammin1911 Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    haha nice boys.

Thrax, I tried to find it! I remebered reading it a while back and it told me what the latest bios revision supported but I couldn't find the damn thing again. :(

Anyway, thanks guys! I'll shoot for the 2600+ :)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    I have always used the "Cheapoman" bios on my K7S5A boards and they work very well. All bios files from ECS underclock and don't offer any option for overclocking at all. The Cheapoman bios's fix these as well as fix some other issues. Here is the latest one that worked for me.

Here is the LINK for the AMI flash utility and instructions to use it. Below you will find zip files with the Cheapoman bios and the Dr dos boot disc creator for bios flashing.
  • Jammin1911Jammin1911 Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    excellent! Thanks so much for the assistance guys..