WinXP won't boot from SATA

reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
edited November 2005 in Hardware
Hey guys. I have an Abit IS7 and a Western Digital Raptor. I can get through the entire install of WinXP and it just won't boot. I have the Raptor on SATA 1. All that happens is that the screen stays black right after it says updating DMPI pool. If I install Win2k it will boot from the SATA, but it is extremely slow. With XP when it has to boot from the HDD during install it is quite quick. Then nothing. I have the latest BIOS and drivers. I have no idea why it won't boot. Help!

Comments

• dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited August 2003
    Do you have a parallel adaptor to try the drive on an IDE channel?
    That may isolate a SATA problem.

~dodo
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    fish,

I take it that you installed the sata drivers during the install right? (the F6 thing) Or are the sata embedded on that board so that you dont have to install the drivers?

Also, check if Apic is enabled in bios. If it is, i suggest you disable it and do a reinstall or perhaps a repair.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    ***ALL IMPORTANT*** if you are on the original shipping bios, update to the latest. There are known SATA issues on the NF7-S which are resolved thru bios update. I believe the latest bios rev. is 1.8 dated 7/24 or thereabouts.

Additionally, while I am somewhat reluctant to point you elsewhere for help, there are many and thorough NF7 posts in the Abit section on nForceHQ here
    edited August 2003
    reelbigfish said
    I have the latest BIOS and drivers.

keto said
    ***ALL IMPORTANT*** if you are on the original shipping bios, update to the latest. There are known SATA issues on the NF7-S which are resolved thru bios update. I believe the latest bios rev. is 1.8 dated 7/24 or thereabouts.

Additionally, while I am somewhat reluctant to point you elsewhere for help, there are many and thorough NF7 posts in the Abit section on nForceHQ here

Even with the release bios, the drives should work, but you will get trouble during boot.
    edited August 2003
    *sigh, scanned when I should have read again* Serves me right for trying to help when I should be working :D
    edited August 2003
    LOL

FYI, i´m not a damn bit better myself. Sorry for pointing it out. It´s an ugly thing to do.

On top of that, Fish has an IS7 which is as far from an Nforce you can go. (It´s an Intel board)

Fish, you haven´t touched the jumper on the drive i hope?
    edited August 2003
    OMG go back to bed keto grumble mumble *dozes off* ;lkjoiupoiu owww my forehead somebody hand me my medication
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede
    slips keto 200 Vicodin´s
    Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    slips keto 200 Vicodin´s
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited August 2003
    Just a thought...

Assuming all IS7's use the same basic bios menus, there are two places where you can enable SATA.

The correct menu for your board (plain IS7, I believe...) is the "OnChip IDE Device" menu -> "OnChip Serial ATA"

The IS7-G has another SATA controller under "Onboard PCI Device" menu -> "Serial ATA controller"
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited August 2003
    Hey guys. I will try disabling APIC. And I know it's enabled under onboard peripherals, I will check to make sure it is on elsewhere in the BIOS. Thanks for the tips. The funny thing about it being enabled is that is has to boot off the HDD after the initial files are copied and it does that fine.
  • edited June 2004
    When I receive my P4P800 SE from Newegg (in like a day) I am going to experience the same problem, I know.

I dont want to use my slow IDE (7200rpm) HardDrive, I want to use my SATA WD Raptor(10,000rpm) and salvage my old HD to another computer. This being said, I've already begun looking into the problem.

So far, this is what I've found from a different forum, so I hope it helps:

1. make sure "USB keyboard support" and "USB mouse support" are both set to "OS" and not "BIOS" - if either of these are set to "BIOS", it somehow causes the Via RAID BIOS to be disabled during boot, thus preventing the SATA HDD from being recognized as a bootable device
    2. make sure "bootable add-in device" is set to "OnChip SATA RAID"
    3. make sure "SATA RAID BIOS" is set to "enabled"
    4. VERY IMPORTANT - use a normal internal floppy drive when loading Via RAID drivers during windows setup!!! (you may laugh, but I was using a USB FDD, and this seems to have been the main cause for my troubles, as it somehow corrupted the installation)
    5. I doubt this last one matters, but set boot device order to: 1. floppy, 2. cdrom, 3. hard disk, and make sure "boot other device(s)" is enabled.

This Thread was posted for the Abit KV7, so I'm not sure the BIOSs are the same... also I encountered some confusion in the post. This person said, make sure keyboard and mouse are set to OS and not BIOS, while another person said it worked when set both to BIOS instead of OS. I'd try the former of the two first.

I don't actually know if this works or not, but just remember not to set up the SATA as a RAID. Also, here's a link to the page i got the info from:
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/computer/topic/9974-1.html
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited June 2004
    This Thread was posted for the Abit KV7, so I'm not sure the BIOSs are the same...
    The KV7 and IS7 are two completely different boards.
    The USB mouse/keyboard issues on the KV7 have been fixed with recently released bios v.15
  • edited August 2004
    I find that interesting. I also have an Abit IS7 with a WD Raptor drive and have no such problem. However, with XP installed, I get the following error now every time i startup without the WinXP cd in the drive:

Verifying DMI Pool Data.........
    Boot from CD:
    Boot from CD:
    DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

My Windows XP is of course on the SATA Raptor drive, also in SATA slot 1. Once I put the CD in the drive and restart, Windows XP boots fine....
  • edited August 2004
    haywirzus wrote:
    I find that interesting. I also have an Abit IS7 with a WD Raptor drive and have no such problem. However, with XP installed, I get the following error now every time i startup without the WinXP cd in the drive:

Verifying DMI Pool Data.........
    Boot from CD:
    Boot from CD:
    DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

My Windows XP is of course on the SATA Raptor drive, also in SATA slot 1. Once I put the CD in the drive and restart, Windows XP boots fine....

hey dude,
    follow these steps you'll be fine.

1. get a computer that boots to an os aready ie: win95/98/2000 etx.
    2. get the mother board cd and locate the drivers.
    3. get a floppy disk and format it.
    4. find the scsi drivers and create a scsi driver disk this disk is not bootable.
    5. remove your ide hdd and boot to the cd for installation.
    6 press"f6" and wait till it asks for the scsi drivers then is stall both the controller and the drivers from the floppy (this WILL not work from cd)
    7. take fdd out.
    u should have no problems anymore.
    cheers.
  • edited September 2004
    :ukflag:
    Hello, I have just come across a similar problem.

I am building a new PC, based upon a KV7 motherboard and a 160GB SATA harddrive.
    I had not appreciated that the drive would not simply be a straightforward boot up device.

I have tried a number of the suggestions made earlier in this thread, but am stuck with either the DMI pool message, or if trying to install WinXP, a message of "textsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (512) at line 1742 in d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c" the message is followed by the inevitable "press any key". This is with an internal DVD and floppy drive installed.

Strangely, putting in a conventional IDE harddrive, with a working WinXP installation from another PC, instead, doesn't seem to help.

Is it me?. I have built a number of PCs from scratch, and never been as stumped now.

Anyone's help would be much appreciated.

By the way, I'm new on the forum, but it looks great.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited September 2004
    I had a simliar problem with a MSI K7D Master-L install. It turned out to be a floppy drive problem was hanging the mobo Boot. Removing the Floppy corrected the problem.

Try disconnecting the Floppy Drive - you never know......
  • edited September 2004
    Ok what brand is the SATA?

make shure the cd-rom is not scratched.

if the sata is a wd then sorry but you MUST have a working fdd with the sata scsi driver and controller.
    you make this with the mobo cd and copy the files to a fdd (it will not read them from any other media)

from what your saying it sounds like a hardware/media issue.

however if the sata is a segate then as far as im aware it should boot without the drivers .

should fly i know this cus my hdd took literally under 30 seconds to format

my system mite be a little underspec to you but i like it. ;-)

3400 + 64
    1 gig ddr2 667 ram (1 module)
    ATI RADEON R9800XT/256MB DDR/DVI/TV-OUT/AGP8X
    GA-K8VT800 (gigabyte)
    120gb wd sata hdd
    does what i want.

cheers
  • nccncc
    edited April 2005
    When I receive my P4P800 SE from Newegg (in like a day) I am going to experience the same problem, I know.

I dont want to use my slow IDE (7200rpm) HardDrive, I want to use my SATA WD Raptor(10,000rpm) and salvage my old HD to another computer. This being said, I've already begun looking into the problem.

Thank you, I have similar problem with P4P800-X and Seagate Barracuda 160 GB. I'm going to try your solving
  • edited April 2005
    ok i have same situation i have resolved with

make sure "USB keyboard support" and "USB mouse support" are both set to "bios" and not "OS"
  • edited May 2005
    Just a quick one that MIGHT jog someones memory.. I had the same problem with a gigabyte Titan pro board and a Maxtor SATA drive Turns out that I was stupid enough NOT to have enabled SCSI in the gigabyte BIOS as I thought SATA was not SCSI.... Anyway whether it is or not it works just fine now.... :mullet:
  • edited November 2005
    i have a simalar problem. i have an abit kv7-v and a maxtor 300Gb SATA drive. Bios will detect this drive if i turn SATA RAID BIOS on but then the syetem freezes at the BOOT FROM CD-ROM PAGE, ANY IDEAS?