eMule, what have you done...

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I was downloading some software for my brother (5 discs) and due to the current internet problems it was taking hours, but 7am they cleared up. but still, it was 75% though most of these files.... but, I come home and I think someone knocked the restart on my machine, as it had rebooted, anyway, I start up eMule and to my horror I see 2 of the files are missing (these are 800MB images btw), so I think they must have finished and dissapeared off the list, but they are not in my finished folder, any ideas?

Not happy,
NS

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I have had this alot with Kazza when it crashes. You aint going to find them mate, once they have gone out of that queue and it isnt finished on your drive, they wave goodbye to it.

Restart the downloads from scratch.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Yep. They're gone.

Bittorrent sometimes does this as well.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    I actually disagree...

/me begs to be different.

No, in all probablilty yes, they will be gone. But quite often if for some reason a download seems to have disapeared, or you have trouble locating it after it's finished downloading, the file in question will sometimes simply not make the transition from it's .dat file state to it's finished file state. Making it simply blend in amoung other downloads in your downloads folder.

Try downloading DAT viewer (if you haven't already got it) and use it to view all the other .DAT files you have in your downloads folder to make sure it's just not hiding.

http://www.kazaalinkz.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=8

Let me know how you get on.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    :respect: I will keep that link for future reference. Could come in handy. :respect:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    With the problem being I am using eMule, not Kazaa, so suprisingly a Kazaa DAT files viewer doesnt work. It is(was) also in about 7 .part files so its not just a case or renaming.

The Dat views and all other needed software also already come with Kazaa lite (www.k-lite.tk).

NS
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    My apologies, I had got it into my head that eMule was some spinoff of Kazaa, not exactly sure why. What can I say, sometimes my posts have a flare for the irrellevant.;)
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    Thrax said
    Yep. They're gone.

Bittorrent rocks!
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited June 2003
    emule is slow as hell, for some reason i can never get more than 1 or 2 people feeding me a file at a time and they are, yes u guessed it, on 56k modems.

I still use kazaa lite, combined with their verified download sites. Where I get atlease 5 or 6 56k uploaders :D

tek
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited June 2003
    LOL... I seriously feel sorry for all your folks with eMule trouble.

NS, so you're saying that the part file disappeared entirely? If the part-file (###.part) still exists but the ###.part.met file is nonexistant, perhaps MetMedic could fix the problem? Otherwise, I guess you'll have to redownload.
    for some reason i can never get more than 1 or 2 people feeding me a file at a time and they are, yes u guessed it, on 56k modems.
    No no... eMule just opens new upload slots when a slot reaches 2.8KB/s, and it always has a minimum of three slots open. eMule is not designed to be fast, the entire eDonkey network has always been slow as mollasses when it comes to single file transfers (Most of the time).

If you want to max out your connection with eMule, download 25 files at once. That way something is always completing and a lot of things are always transferring. Otherwise you'll never even get close... Patience is key.

Anyway, I love the **** out of eMule and with good reason... It's given me uhhhhhh 217 high quality DVD rips and counting. Okay, I guess thirty of them came from IRC way back when.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    eMule is the devil!

Bittorrent is god!
    edited June 2003
    It was just the met file I think because I remember the parts being there, just not the MET file.

NS
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2003
    i use the latest version of EDonkey, not the mule. sometimes files just seem to dissapear, and restarting Edonkey fixes the problem. this usually happens when my system is doing something else at the time, so if i had to guess i would say that EDonkey's file-indexing overloads its set operations... so it just forgets.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited June 2003
    NightShade737 said
    It was just the met file I think because I remember the parts being there, just not the MET file.

NS
    In that case, look around for a program called MetMedic which can built meta files for orphaned part files.
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited July 2003
    It still doesn't mean that files are not going to be corrupt or something. I'm guessing that the site is not there anymore? If not, well, better luck next time.
    edited July 2003
    er....... what site? Its P2P, there is no site.

NS
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited July 2003
    I meant the source of the file
    edited July 2003
    There were about 400 people with them, its just not funny how I download like 1.2GB then suddenly it dissapears.

NS
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    doesnt sumone at this forum code for eMule
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited July 2003
    I've never used eMule nor bittorrent.

I use K-Lite.

Does eMule or bittorrent have a way of verifying a file before downloading it?

I hate downloading 700MB just to find out it's *NOT* the file it was claimed to be, or to find out it's about as graphically-enhanced as an Atari 2600.
    Khaos said
    LOL... I seriously feel sorry for all your folks with eMule trouble.

NS, so you're saying that the part file disappeared entirely? If the part-file (###.part) still exists but the ###.part.met file is nonexistant, perhaps MetMedic could fix the problem? Otherwise, I guess you'll have to redownload.

for some reason i can never get more than 1 or 2 people feeding me a file at a time and they are, yes u guessed it, on 56k modems.
    No no... eMule just opens new upload slots when a slot reaches 2.8KB/s, and it always has a minimum of three slots open. eMule is not designed to be fast, the entire eDonkey network has always been slow as mollasses when it comes to single file transfers (Most of the time).

If you want to max out your connection with eMule, download 25 files at once. That way something is always completing and a lot of things are always transferring. Otherwise you'll never even get close... Patience is key.

Anyway, I love the **** out of eMule and with good reason... It's given me uhhhhhh 217 high quality DVD rips and counting. Okay, I guess thirty of them came from IRC way back when.
    edited July 2003
    Stuff on E-Mule has always been what is says it is, unlike on K-Lite.

Users can also make comment on the files so you can see what other people have said about the file.

NS
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2003
    using EDonkey my method of downloading files is different from kazaa. instead of doing the traditional search w/in the client, I go to sharereacter.com or some similar site and find the entirety of the files i want there. i.e., go to sharereactor and search for unreal tournament 2003 and it gives you links to all the files for any particular rip. then with a click of a button all are added to the client. some other sites have a feature that allows you to check the credibility of a file, all of which means you get what you DL for
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited July 2003
    LawnMM said
    Thrax said
    Yep. They're gone.

Bittorrent rocks!

Yeah, but you have to pay for it.

Also, why do you have to have eMule in order to download anything from Sharereactor? But occasionally you'll find sharereactor video files on Kazaa.
    edited July 2003
    danball1976 said
    LawnMM said
    Thrax said
    Yep. They're gone.

Bittorrent rocks!

Also, why do you have to have eMule in order to download anything from Sharereactor? But occasionally you'll find sharereactor video files on Kazaa.

Firstly bitTorrent is free.

Secondly - Because someone has downloaded files through eDonkey and are now sharing them on Kazaa, thats how you find the same files on kazaa. Not a rocket scientist.

NS
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I've used BiTTorrent for Anime and it works great, but where and what else can you use it for?
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited July 2003
    NightShade737 said
    danball1976 said
    LawnMM said
    Thrax said
    Yep. They're gone.

Bittorrent rocks!

Firstly bitTorrent is free.

Secondly - Because someone has downloaded files through eDonkey and are now sharing them on Kazaa, thats how you find the same files on kazaa. Not a rocket scientist.

NS

Ok, I am wrong about BitTorrent, just checked the website where you can download it.
    edited July 2003
    You could have used it on Torrentse.cx...... but......

The site torrentse.cx recieved a cease and desist letter during the day of Wednesday, July 16, 2003 for copyright infringement. The entire website has been removed and will not return.

NS
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    For what it's worth, Shareaza and ShareReactor.com are a potent combination.
  • sforzasforza SPAIN
    edited July 2003
    Check if the disappeared files are still at the temp folder. Sometimes, the file is completed but for some reason it didn't move to the incoming folder. But the file is complete. You only have to check the .met file for the original name, and rename the part file with that name. It should work, I have done this previously.