Official notice.

WeedoWeedo New
edited December 2004 in Folding@Home
I, Weedo, hereby officially rescind my jihad against Bothered. I cannot possibly hope to keep up the race with the problems I've been having with my Win98 machines and the general misfortune I have experienced in the last several days. Another huge WU was just dropped by my main folder at 30% and Stanford will not relent and send me smaller ones.

If in the near future I can resolve the issues currently plaguing me I will reinstate the jihad at that time. But for now...

I bow to you Sir Bothered. Weedo is defeated.

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2004
    Just a temporary break then? I know you'll sort it out soon weedo and be speeding past me soon enough. Somebody must know what's happening, csimon perhaps, he has helped me with a few folding problems. I hope you sort it soon. Good luck. :(
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2004
    You'll be back. When I get home I'll see if I can help you any.

It's been a darn good battle - I'd hate to see it end. :)
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited November 2004
    When i say the battle has been watched from afar, i'm not kidding. These are the things that make life interesting. :)

Everyone has hiccups in life and when you strike a low point there appears to be nothing on the horizon to fix it. I believe it to be a temporary hiccup and firmly believe in the distant future you will have "Sir Bothered" pulling up the drawbridge in fear of being coquered.

At that point, surround him and starve him out of his hidy hole. :mad:

Hang in there Weedo..............you may have lost this battle........the war is not yet finished. :thumbsup:
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Weedo, a few ideas. Folks are starting to report that Client 5.03 works on Windows 98, and works well. There are enough issue fixes in version 5 versus how version 4 poerformed, that it might be worth trying a client changeout. Version 5.03 is reported as working in 98.

Second, graphics console for Windows uses more RAM than the console version. Switching to console, if this is a RAM or resource limit issue, might reduce resource use by the client enough to let things fold.

Third, try this:

Make sure the 98 clients are not using any of the following switches:

-advmethods (gets late betas, right now these are REAL complex, and some are truely betas that are not REAL late betas)

-forceasm (boxes might not be able to use the assembly optimizations, and client now will try using assembly optimizations as a test, then use them if test shows they can be used)

-forcesse (might have things in it that your box cannot handle, and will be used by client 5 if a test indicates that it can be, automatically, now)

My guess is with all these switches set as noted, and possibly with the GAH preference set, you will start getting timeless tinkers which are intended for lower resource boxes.

End note:

try this on one box, and see if you are getting more smaller WUs now that the netowrking at folding is working better. one of teh problems folding was having might relate to your problem in this way:

The servers that were serving timeless tinkers had network connect issues within folding' operations at stanford while things networking for the internal LAN folding central operations uses were ironed out. during November 10 and on, at some times, those servers were also shown as down. The AS servers in fact reroute assignments to servers that are up when the networking status shows as down for a preferred server by client settings. So, foldings refusal to send small WUs might have been because it simply could not do so, ESPECIALLY from the 11th through the 16th and to a lesser degree through the 19th of November.

The reason given for the move of some servers to the medical network at stanford included room in place there for foldign servers, which will let more servers be brought online in future also, and better power backup and environment conditions. CA (California, USA) has been having lots of power outages and rolling blackouts, and Stanford is in CA (state, not Canada). The medical network IT folks have been working very hard to get things working on Stanford's network for the Folding admin team. Looks like the severity of the problem has decreased.

One more set of side notes relevant to Weedo possibly and to others. IF you had missing points before the 19th of November, and had lots of WUs that you did nto get credit for, one reason set for the surge on the 19th as to points was this (two part, so is a set of reasons). FIRST, the fallback collections server now will give points for what it takes in, as of about teh 19th of November, and folks will not have to wait for AS or DS boxes to come back onto the network. Second, the points held by the collections server before November 18th, for a server (server .143) that was often down between novemebr 11th and 19th and has been on and off the network connect to the assignment servers also have been manually applied to those users who had boxes turn in points to the collection server that, because of downtime and no network connect in the folding LAN to that server for a large amount of time, had gathered and gathered on the collections server.

Thus, on the 19th or 20th the points percollated out to the UIDs that turned them in for the boxes that had gotten WUs from .143 but not been able to be automatically sent to .143 becuase of first networking issues, and second, the server itself sometimes malfing (cause appeared to be overheat and\or overload when it malfed). I figured you folks with points backed up and not credited in the recent past might want to know that things are being worked on to fix that and hopefully fix it once and for all time (crosses fingers and hopes mightily as well as helping as I can with ideas and thoughts).
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2004
    Thanks guys. I need all 4 of my machines folding nonstop to keep up with Bothered and his 2.

I'll try to digest all this and do something. I did go ahead and order some more ram for the one 98 folder. I'm bringing it up from 384 to 768. Hopefully that will clear the log jam. Actually, I uninstalled and reinstalled fah a couple times until I got a more favorable WU (p112) to work with before heading off to work last nite and it's at 49% this morning.

I haven't really given up. I'm still folding away on all 4 machines hoping that something will give. So, even though I officially rescinded my jihad, noone should rest on their laurels.

Straight_Man, I don't think I have any of those switches enabled, at least I didn't enable them myself. If I'm not mistaken you right click the fah icon and enter it in a line there. They aren't there so I guess they aren't enabled.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Well, to really check a config I would do this:

Make a shortcut to your client program.

In the shortcut command box, add ' -configonly' or ' -config' (leave the 's out, I stuck them there because the lead space is required) to the end of the run command value. Save the shortcut, by clicking apply and then OK. This has worked with every console and graphics client I have used for folding.

I then rename the shortcut to something like FAH Config.

Then I double-click the shortcut to run the client with that config switch active.

In the resulting DOS session, just use Enter for things you do not want to change. This will, amongst other things, let you choose WU types.

When you get through all of the script for configuring, if you used -configonly the program will exit after writting to the client's config file. OTOH, if you used -config then the client will write the config file, and continue working.

This is how to get commands that would sometimes be ignored otherwise to "TAKE" in a client. To ge the force commands working you make another shortcut, this one I tend to call FAH_Run, and stick those commands in the shortcut run command box.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2004
    :wave: goodbye!
    edited November 2004
    You'll be battering at my door very soon I fear. Until then, :thumbsup:
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited November 2004
    Weedo wrote:
    Thanks guys. I need all 4 of my machines folding nonstop to keep up with Bothered and his 2.

I'll try to digest all this and do something. I did go ahead and order some more ram for the one 98 folder. I'm bringing it up from 384 to 768. Hopefully that will clear the log jam. Actually, I uninstalled and reinstalled fah a couple times until I got a more favorable WU (p112) to work with before heading off to work last nite and it's at 49% this morning.
    Weedo someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think adding more ram to win 98 will do any good. :( I was told that win 98 can't/won't use much more than about 300 MB or the 384 you had. Didn't you say you had a win 2K disk? Use that. Jack
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited November 2004
    Yeah, I'm thinking it won't help either. That box finally did complete a work unit (p112) without choking on it last night. First one it's turned out in a while.

I do have W2K. I hate to do a refomat now though. Lots of work. Are you saying that the problem is or could be Win98 instability?

What's really starting to frustrate me is getting these 1400 series Gromacs on 3 of 4 machines. I have uninstalled and reinstalled fah many times (hate doing this, feel it violates the spirit of the project) trying to get something else but it just keeps sending them back and my Win98 boxes are choking on them.

I just put fah back on my Tbird 1.2 w/XPhome this morning and got it again. Estimated date of WU completion is Jan 5. I feel it is ridiculous to have 1 machine tied up that long for 261 points. It doesn't seem worth it. Not for a small folder like me anyway (4 or less boxes by my definition). I could stand it on 1 machine but not 3. This and the constant dumping of WU's at about 20 to 30% have killed me.

I know there's a greater purpose here, but I'd still like to see some results for running 4 computers 24/7. That's where the motivation to continue and the fun of it comes from, right?

Oh, and I tried 5.03 on one of my 98 machines and it didn't work.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited November 2004
    Sad to hear about your problems, hope it works out.

On the bright side, you'll still be ahead of me :rolleyes:

Good luck and all the best :thumbsup:
    edited December 2004
    Weedo wrote:
    :wave: goodbye!

Goodbye? looks to me like you have things buzzin along again. Glad you fixed it.

sort of.

Next one to come from behind and whop me is lord night I think. :bawling:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Weedo, you might also want to look at RAM instability and heat as possible culprits. Run memtest and Prime95.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited December 2004
    bothered wrote:
    Goodbye? looks to me like you have things buzzin along again. Glad you fixed it.

sort of.

Next one to come from behind and whop me is lord night I think. :bawling:

When I went to bed last night, knowing I was gonna throw down 482 points in the night... I just knew I had you. WRONG!! :eek:

I'm not counting anymore chickens before they hatch. Catching you has proven to be like trying to catch fish bare-handed.

Will do GHoosdum. I'm adding 512 to the Barton but I don't think it will help. Things have been moving along again lately though. All machines have posted recently.
  • Lord_NightLord_Night Piqua Ohio
    edited December 2004
    Bothered and Weedo...

I been chasing ya for some time now. but 3 (of 5) of the machine I have running are dragging with rather large WU, one at 2500 I think. the two 98 machines I have they are running the EM3 and havent had a problem.

the only time I see a problem is when they get ahold of a really large WU then they bog down. but have not had the problems that Weedo is having. our company is having an employee sale this friday. I am hoping to buy enough parts to build 1 or even 2 more fold machines for the house, I have ordered a 16 port router for now, so I can add them in.....

we shall see....

(boss at work is being a dip and wont let me add any more machines for now...) :mad:
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited December 2004
    You haven't gone unnoticed Lord_Night. I've been monitoring your silent jihad for a while. I guess you're out of the closet now.

All I get are those really large WU's anymore too. Rarely get the small ones. They really hold my 2 slower machines hostage. They all seem to be doing ok now though. We'll see.

I won't be just laying down and taking it, and nobody fights the good fight like Bothered. If you want Weedo, you're gonna have to take him kicking and screaming.

(I bite too) ;D
    edited December 2004
    Challenge taken Weedo, (I bite also, and will throw my cat into if need be).. ;D.....

bene watching both of ya and EyesOnly,

I know what you mean though.. all of sudden I my machines are getting the real large ones. and with two of mine at home it ; like yours are held hostage for days:
    but I haven't lost anything yet or had them die on me so we shall see how it goes...

(flashing bright lights at bothered I see you up there......)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Weed, I have been folding under w2k. My boxes are all either TBird or XP CPUs. I typically run 60 days between re-boots. Without any lost wus.

I don't mind the large wus. I just wish that I could get tinkers all of the time for my AMD boxes. The medium point values gromacs are what kill me. They take almost as long as the big ones but are only 1/4 of the points.
    edited December 2004
    Weedo wrote:
    ...Catching you has proven to be like trying to catch fish bare-handed...
    It's called "Noodling", and it can be done! :cool:
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited December 2004
    If I have to reformat it I'll prolly go with w2k. Just too lazy now and can't afford the down time... you know, chasing Bothered. Yep, those 14xx's are killer and I'm getting them like fleas. I've seen other forums where they complain about them too.

;D Yeah Prof, I've heard of it. You're right... I'm noodling for Bothered. ;D
    edited December 2004
    Weedo wrote:
    ...;D Yeah Prof, I've heard of it. You're right... I'm noodling for Bothered. ;D

Now you're scaring me.

(from the article on Noodling):
    "Then is the time for the (Folder) to improve the favourable opportunity: he accordingly opens his hand, seizes the voracious (bothered) by his tender parts, hath a sharp struggle with it … and at last brings it safe ashore."

Bothered, if I were you I'd keep a close eye out for an attack on your "tender parts".... ;D
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited December 2004
    profdlp wrote:
    Bothered, if I were you I'd keep a close eye out for an attack on your "tender parts".... ;D

;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

I swear I'm not that kind... ;D;D;D

Bothered... this is the only tender part you have to worry about!!

But worry about it. :D
    edited December 2004
    well this is begining to SUCK....

I have 5 machines running 24/7 and haven't scored over 100 in 3 days..
    at this rate I will never catch my prey......

aarrggghhhhhhh :rolleyes:
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited December 2004
    Yeah but when you hit, it's gonna be big.

*Weedo braces for impact*
    edited December 2004
    Well I'm in front again but only just and not for long, I may have to get a folding machine?
    Prof, ALL my bits are tender.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited December 2004
    bothered wrote:
    I may have to get a folding machine?

:hair::eek3: Huh... whaaa.... !!!!
    edited December 2004
    bothered wrote:
    I may have to get a folding machine?

You can't...... muhahahhahahha......
    you are only 15 away