Video preview software?

drasnordrasnor Starship OperatorHawthorne, CA Icrontian
edited December 2004 in Internet & Media
I need a piece of software that can interface with a USB video capture box under Windows XP (standard WDM device) and display a full-screen picture of what's coming in. My video capture box has a S-Video and composite video input, so the software will need to be able to switch between the two.

What I'm trying to do is get some way to play my portable PlayStation2 on my laptop's screen. I got tired of playing games in Windows Movie Maker's preview pane and am looking to get some extra life out of my old DVC-80 though I'm probably going to have to buy a new video capture box since the DVC-80 doesn't work with all my games.

Anyone have any suggestions?

-drasnor :fold:

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    An hour or two of Googl'n later: TViewer and VirtualVCR don't work unless I'm totally incompetent at getting them set up properly (it's possible). I tried them with both my All in Wonder 9700 Pro and my DVC-80 and neither can display a picture, though ATI MMC has no trouble getting a picture from the All in Wonder and Windows Movie Maker can get a signal from both.

edited November 2004
    Bump for more hits. Come on guys, I can't be the _only_ person that's ever tried to do this.

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited November 2004
    no, but you may be the only person HERE
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited November 2004
    Stuff like this is hardware dependent. The hardware has to have the ability to grab a preview of whatever it is capturing and send it to the screen via Directshow or VFW. I don't think you can just stick a piece of software to grab a preview from any generic video capture device.

What brand of capture box do you have?

Dexter...
    edited November 2004
    I have my Dazzle DVC-80, ATI All in Wonder 9700/9800 Pro, and my new KWORLD Xpert DVD maker USB 2.0. I'm pretty sure they all use whatever Windows API handles video capturing (DirectShow?) because MovieMaker works with them after I install their WDM drivers. Additionally, my DVC-80 shows up in My Computer and double-clicking on it opens up a folder with a preview pane that shows video from whatever's hooked up to it. This would be just fine, except for the preview pane is 320x240 and my monitor is 1600x1200. I haven't received my KWORLD Xpert yet, but from what I've read it should work similar to my DVC-80 in that respect.

• edited December 2004
    I am having a similar problem trying to connect to my DVP 1410 USB video capture card.I am using some software that is currently is designed to stream from a Broadway card using WDM commands to connect to it. How does this sort of thing work? Does the card need to provide WDM drivers? How do I know if it supports the older WDM Image Capture or DirectShow? Currently I can only capture video from the card using their API to directly communicate to it. I think I am laccking some fundamental knowledge of how it all works. What is a good introduction to the technical side of all this?
    edited December 2004
    DirectShow seems to be the API that ties in video capture, filtering, and display. DirectShow replies on WDM drivers for your video capture device, so devices communicating on proprietary interfaces requiring proprietary software won't work with it.

I found a piece of software that does what I want: FullScreenTV v2.2 will grab an image from any WDM video capture device and display it in full screen with no muss and no fuss. Best of all, it's very small (260kB) and doesn't bring my laptop out of low power mode.