Best PC Video Editing Software (on a budget!)

CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
edited February 2005 in Internet & Media
As you know, I'm heavily into cheap video production, some of you may or may not have seen my website and some of the little projects I've done.

Well myself and a friend of mine are trying to produce a little web show called "Total Geek Media" (http://www.totalgeekmedia.com site looks TOTALLY ridiculous right now, the brand new one will be up soon with PostNuke GONE cause it sucks, is slow, and hard to customize) but anyway I used Windows Media Movie Maker 2 to edit the first one and, suffice to say, it doesnt offer the features I want/need, gets the job done, but very basic.

I've tried Ulead Video Studio, that was way too dumbed down, even worse than WMMM2, I tried Adobe Premiere, and that was a little too advanced for what I'm trying to do. I've also tried this ImageMixer thing that came bundled with my camera, it was much like the Ulead one. So if anybody knows a good medium for like an easy-to-use but with some decent features software, I'd greatly appreciate any info you can get me!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Do you want a GUI? Is it a must have thing?

More accurately: Do you want to learn a scripting language if the product is entirely free, and is more robust than any program?
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Well, a GUI is kind of a must-have, I would have trouble like numerically knowing where cuts should be and come together, I can edit stuff and be like "well that spot" but I would seem to me that it would be kind of difficult to say well I need a cut at 3:34:10 to 3:46:23 or something, ya know? I am interested to learn of what you're talking about though, I've never encountered a scripted editing program with no GUI.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    All I know is Final Cut Pro, AViD, and Premeir... though a quick search came up with Pinnacle Studio, Ulead Video Studio, Roxio Videowave... all for under $100 acording to this link http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,4148,4835,00.asp
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Dude, just buckle down and learn premiere. It is the best for amateur / hobbyist stuff, and you'll never regret learning it.
    edited November 2004
    Dude, just buckle down and learn premiere. It is the best for amateur / hobbyist stuff, and you'll never regret learning it.

:bawling: :bawling:

But Daddy, I don't wanna go to school today.

You're probably right...I hate learning new stuff

/me is so lazy.

know any good tutorials
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Prime's right.. PC + GUI = Premiere. I know you can do it. :D Come on.
    edited November 2004
    The visual quickstart guides from peachpit press are awesome for these sorts of programs.
  • Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
    edited November 2004
    Premier isn't too difficult of a program to learn. I've found that one of the best ways to learn new software is to just try to make something simple, say a 30 sec shot with a few cuts, and then look through the help file or ask questions on things you may not know.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    I too think that Premier is the way to go.
    But if you are going to resist, there is a ULead pro version.
    I got mine by buying a Firewire card with the simple version bundled and then paid $45 for the upgrade.
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited February 2005
    I'm starting on Adobe Premiere today. I use FinalCut at school. GUI stands for Graphical User Interface?

Howdy Cam, I dig TGM. It kind of reminds me of the stuff I do, or more accurately the stuff I don't do. I've been working on the same Flash cartoon with my good friend for weeks. We don't get much done, quickly.

Your site is neat. I like that that each page is one big GIF image. You should do an episode on testing people’s ability to hear MP3s. :D
    edited February 2005
    Hey, this thread is old, just got the topic reply email for it. Anyway, as an update to my first post, i use Adobe Premiere Elements now and i love it. It has all the features I would use from Premiere but slightly dumbed down (something I need! :D ) I really recommend it for anyone who wants to go beyond the Windows Movie Maker type thing but isn't quite looking to step up to something as complicated as Premiere.

Thanks for the comments on the site, I'm actually re-doing the site right now because I'm not a big fan of the giant GIF design, I used fireworks to image map templates I made in Photoshop, because it was a quick and easy way to do it, but, it's difficult to update and add content, so, I'm doing a vbulletin integrated CMS system for easy updates to the site.

About the mp3 thing, did you send me an email about this before? Someone sent me an email about listening to different quality mp3s or something, I cant quite remember what it was, but I had a lot of problems with my computer and had lost the email.
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited February 2005
    Yep, that was me. It's a small world. :D And now for a tangent.. Who do you use to host your site? I've sort of been shopping around for my latest site. http://slowchildren.org. I'm on Geocities free plan and I've been able to use adfree up until today. Plus I get **** bandwidth allowence. That's it for now. I'm eagerly awaiting episode 5.
    edited February 2005
    We host his site - and we host short-media too..

PM me for pricing :)
    edited February 2005
    We host his site - and we host short-media too..

PM me for pricing :)

Special Short-Media Rule #136: No commercial advertisements and/or service marketing in the middle of a digital media post by Camman.

sorry dude, just had to point it out, rules is rules