Monitoring progress on multiple computers

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited December 2004 in Folding@Home
I looked through the stickies and saw links to folding monitor programs (Foldmonitor 5.1.4), but they didn't seem to work for me.

I was able to add folding to another computer, a P4 1.6 set to 80% processor load, and would like to be able to monitor its progress.

How can I do this remotely? Do I have to add some software on that computer, or will the Stanford folding site track its progress and report to me any computers folding under my name?

I haven't been able to get electron microscope working either. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Comments

• witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited November 2004
    Tim wrote:
    I was able to add folding to another computer, a P4 1.6 set to 80% processor load, and would like to be able to monitor its progress.

How can I do this remotely? Do I have to add some software on that computer, or will the Stanford folding site track its progress and report to me any computers folding under my name?

I haven't been able to get electron microscope working either. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.
    I will go way out on a limb here and assume (I really don't like that word) this P4 is in your house and on your network! (:scratch: Why only 80%?) I use 2 software programs that I have added to my computers in my house - WinVNC and Fah LogStats - and NO, Stanford is not going to report TO you progress on computers folding under your name. They will have information about work completed on their website for you to look at under stats. Here is the link to Fah LogStats http://fahstats.sourceforge.net/mt/ Good luck Jack
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    The only monitoring software you need is what most of us use: Electron Microscope

http://home.comcast.net/~wxdude1/emsite/index.html
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Witenoiz - no, the P4 1.6 belongs to someone else who doesn't use the computer much, but leaves it turned on. I told him about the folding thing and he said I could put it on his system.

I left it at only 80% because I can't be there often to monitor CPU temperatures. Better safe than too hot. I cleaned out his case and heat sink while working on the computer, it needed a lot of spyware and dust removed.

3 days now, and it hasn't turned in a work unit yet. I have to go back sometime this week and install Word 2000 for him, I'll check it then.

I wonder why it hasn't registered a score? My stats show only 1 processor folding for me.
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited November 2004
    Then it would be a question of how often is it on/off. I have a few at friends houses and I never know if they are on. I have no idea how to monitor a computer in someone else's house - I'm sure some here know. Check with KingFish - He has about 100 working for him in the French Quarter in New Orleans ;D OOPS - That's his OTHER business! :D Jack
    edited November 2004
    Well, he SAID it was always on, but that doesn't mean it is. I just assume he told the truth.

If he does turn it on and off, will folding automatically start when he turns it on? I put 5.03 on that computer. I think it will, just looking for some confirmation about it.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2004
    I use EM3 and its great. Prime gave a link to it.
    edited November 2004
    I've been trying to get EM3 downloaded AND running for an hour, but it just won't go. It doesn't seem to find the Folding@Home folder, even when EM3 is IN it!

The instructions don't make much sense to me either.

Is there something else that will work and will install easily? Or write step by step instructions for a 5 year old to get it going.
    edited November 2004
    Make a new Folder for EM3 like in C:\Program Files\Em3. Click on the little computer, the one on the right, browse to your FAH directory and double click on the FAH exe. Put in your CPU info and then your CPU Speed. Click on Add Box, then Save and Exit.
    edited November 2004
    I don't see any folding.exe files in my folding folder. The closest thing is the red gear with FAH5.03 beside it.

EM3 keeps giving me "possible path errors". I didn't rename the folding folder, it says "Folding@Home".

I've dealt with troublesome programs before, but this EM3 is enough to piss off the pope, as my Dad used to say.
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited November 2004
    You do want to select the ''red gear with FAH5.03 beside it''. Sound like you haven't told windows to show file extensions. At any rate, do what mmonnin said, just make sure you select the red gear with FAH5.03 beside it.;)

~FA
    edited November 2004
    Nice to see you FA.

Yes double click on the exe. Move Everything that belongs to Em3 into a separate folder by itself.
    edited December 2004
    I have tried and tried, but I just can not get this G@$%^mn electron microscope to work! :banghead: I need DETAILED STEP BY STEP instructions.

I'm running folding@home 503, and it wants to search for 500.

This is really irritating me that it won't work.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    First of all, it's been 15 days since you probably downloaded EM. I bet there is an update for it that may have fixed some problem or something. Go back to the website and download the lastest.

Here is step by step, ask if you aren't clear on something.
    edited December 2004
    Again...
    edited December 2004
    And again....
    edited December 2004
    Well, I think I have it working. I'm not sure what I did, and it took about 4 tries this time, but my main problem was that the check boxes and words would not appear in the 2 large white areas of the Options screen. But eventually I clicked the right button at the right time and got it to work.

Thanks for the assistance, I'll keep an eye on it and see if it keeps working.

Is there a way for me to monitor the progress of the other computer that is folding for me without directly accessing the other computer, or does EM 3 have to be individually installed on it as well? Not a big deal, just wondering. Does EM3 get its information from the computers, or from Stanford?
    edited December 2004
    Yes, EM will monitor multiple computers provided they are networked and you only have to have EM loaded on one computer to monitor all computers. EM get's its information directly from the comps, only the points total is loaded from Stanford.

I have a suspicion about what was happening, I think you were clicking "Save Editing" or "Save & Exit" first, rather than selecting "Add a Box" first. If you don't select "add a box" first before "saving", it won't actually add the computer to be monitored and will not display in the 2 large white areas. I've done this myself. Glad everything works now anyways. :)