New Media PC Build

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited November 2004 in Hardware
I'm going to be rebuilding my Media PC for slightly cooler running and a few upgrades. I just ordered some stuff from Newegg. Here's my component list:

Current Parts:
1 GB (2x512MB) Corsair ValueSelect PC3200
Thermalright AX-8 heatsink
Antec Aria case
LiteOn DVD-ROM
80GB WD SE
Windows XP MCE2005
Microsoft MCE Remote Control
Gyration Presenter gyro-mouse (actually CB owns this part)

New Parts:
AMD XP2500+ 55W version (1.5VCore)
Chaintech 7NIL1-SUMMIT nForce2 SPP Motherboard
Chaintech AV-710 VIA Envy24HT-S Sound card

I'm hoping that by switching from the XP2700+ TBred (1.65V) to the 55W XP2500+ that the Media PC will act less like a space heater and more like a true HTPC.

I'm also hoping that switching out the motherboard, installing a completely fresh copy of WinXP MCE2005, and changing out my router will end the "Limited or No Connectivity" issues that I've been having on the Media PC. If not I'm going to have to kill myself.

I've decided not to put the TV tuner card in the PC this time around, because we don't have cable so it is currently useless. I'm selling that.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

Comments

• mojodeanmojodean Detroit, Michigan Member
    Okay @ghoosdum, I know this is an ancient thread but I am wondering what you learned by building this Media PC. Did it work for what you needed? Are you still using it, did you upgrade it further, or have you replaced it/retired it?

I'm leaning toward building a media PC to replace my cable this summer and I'm looking for suggestions on best practices, etc.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Okay @ghoosdum, I know this is an ancient thread but I am wondering what you learned by building this Media PC. Did it work for what you needed? Are you still using it, did you upgrade it further, or have you replaced it/retired it?

I'm leaning toward building a media PC to replace my cable this summer and I'm looking for suggestions on best practices, etc.
    AMD APU &Motherboard offer the best HTPC for the money
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    An AMD E-350/E-450 motherboard will decode these codecs up to their specifications' maximum bitrates:

H.264 (.mkv, Blu-ray, Blu-ray rips)

VC-1 (Blu-ray, Blu-ray rips)

MPEG2 (DVD)

MPEG4 (DivX, Xvid (AVI files))

In other words: whether you're a dirty pirate or a legitimate purveyor of disc-based media, you can hardware-accelerate it and improve the image quality with an array of driver-enabled post-processing effects. It's also the least expensive of any HTPC mobo+CPU combo!

(Disclaimer: I am an AMD employee. My opinions are my own. E-350 is awesome.)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    (Disclaimer: I am not an AMD employee, I am at the world's largest IT trade show right now, and AMD's Trinity APUs being shown here are extremely impressive. It's a solid recommendation.)
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Further suggestions when building a media PC:

Get a super quiet or silent PSU. If you use a stock heatsink that comes with your CPU, this will be the loudest part of your system.

I prefer mini-ITX formfactor builds, but mATX is a much easier spec to work in without breaking the bank or having fitment issues with hardware.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    @mojodean - I retired this system years ago, but it was a very good system for its day.

I wouldn't dream of building anything like that right now. If I were to build something today, the comments of Thrax, fatcat, primesuspect and BuddyJ are right on the money.