Should i get 2HD and do RAID 0?

maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
edited December 2004 in Hardware
I was thinking of getting 2 of these drives and setting up raid 0, what do you guys think? would it be a performance increase or should i just get one?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-135-106&depa=1

Comments

• edited December 2004
    I would get a single 160Gig drive and call it a day, with a single drive there's no need to install drivers (on an Intel rig that is) at a new Windows load and there's no chance of an array breaking and losing all your pr0n, ahem...files, I've had it happen and it sucks.
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited December 2004
    I run RAID-0 and to me it is worth the risk. Things load quicker so if you can handle the risk of losing all your data (just make sure you backup your important files regularly or synchronise them with another drive or something), then it kicks ass :)

edit: I should add that I have run my RAID-0 on the same drives for almost 4 years straight and had absolutely no issue whatsoever (2x120GB WD JB's). Recently I got some new drives so that array is now broken and the drives thrown in another computer, but they still haven't missed a beat.
  • edited December 2004
    I also run raid-0 on my PC but for an array as small as he's proposing it'd be easier, cheaper and just about the same performance wise to just forego the array and buy a single drive.
    I'm glad to see that your WD's served you well, I bought a pair of 1200JD's for my first SATA array just to lose one drive about 4mo.s after I bought it and the other about 4mo.s after that.
    I was fortunate in that WD sent me 1600JD's to replace them but then, all the pictures of my wife and her kids that I'll never have again (seeings how we're separated and going to get divorced) are as gone now as they were the day that first drive failed, I know I should've backed them up but really, who expects brand new drives to fail so quickly?
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited December 2004
    yea well i went with your advice madmat and got a 120GB drive, here is the link to it, let me know what ya think.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-152-017&depa=1
  • edited December 2004
    Looks good, I had a 4.7Gig Samsung that I used for 3 years and it's still running in a POS machine in a motel to this day. It was pretty quiet as far as the bearings went, the reads and writes were sorta loud but still quieter than a 20Gig Seagate I bought to replace it.
    As long as it meets your needs I'd say it's a winner. I run Samsung optical drives and I like them.
    After the problems I've had with WD hard drives I'll probably buy a different brand next time I buy a drive, maybe I'll look into a Samsung too.