Folding on a "Guest" Account

GarethGareth Wales
edited December 2004 in Folding@Home
Can anyone explain how to get a graphical client to run on a Win XP Pro SP2 machine when the Guest is logged on ?
I look after a small network of 12 P4 2.8g machines at my local community centre.
We hire the facility to educational groups from the local community / colleges and they all have to log on as Guest.
I can install the graphical client as Administrator, but can't get it to run when "Guest" logs on.
If anyone has any precise, detailed instructions on how to do this I could get an extra 12 machines folding for about 40 hours / week.
( I don't want to run the console version)

Comments

• DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Is there a reason you don't want to use the console? With the newest version of the console you can even get it to run as a service, so there's nothing in the task bar(it only shows up in task manager and under services), and it will run when the system is logged off as well. That's what I've done at work on a bunch of systems.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2004
    Yep, install it as a service.
  • GarethGareth Wales
    edited December 2004
    I didn't want to run it as console because the users would see it in the task bar. If anyone maximised it there would be confusion at seeing a DOS window and it would end up being closed rather than minimised.
    I tried running as a service using http://www.bluetentacle.co.uk/dc/fahservice.htm
    but I couldn't get that to work either.
    How would I monitor progress with it running as a service?
    If someone can give me step by step, idiot proof instructions on how to get it running as a service then I will try again.
    Thanks Gareth
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2004
    If you get the console one of the first questions it asks you is if you want to run it as a service. It will not show up at all, just in task manager. Thats it.

A good way to monitor FAH remotely is by using EM3. go to em-dc.com and you can download it there. Share the F@H folder where you placed the console exe and then you can use EM3 to monitor it over the network. You then can monitor all the computers from one computer.
  • GarethGareth Wales
    edited December 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    If you get the console one of the first questions it asks you is if you want to run it as a service. It will not show up at all, just in task manager. Thats it.

Thanks. I'll give that a try tomorrow :thumbsup: