File sharing in XP Pro

gtghmgtghm New
edited December 2004 in Science & Tech
I know how to turn on file sharing for each folder and file in XP on my system but I was wondering if there is a hack to turn on file sharing through out the whole system with out having to go to each drive/directory/file and turn file sharing on individually?

"g"

Comments

• dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited December 2004
    you could share the root drive....not so secure, but whatever

~dodo
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited December 2004
    That's not what I'm looking for, but thanks.

"g"
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    I don't think you can share anything other than drives/folders/files. Why do you need to share more?
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited December 2004
    Sorry, I can see I'm not communcating well... LOL

In XP Pro if you want to share a file you have to manually assign security to each file. That takes a lot of time to give permissions to other computers on my network acess to my main rig.
    Perhaps I should have used global permissions on a partition to other computers on my network. It would be more smoother and take less time.

"g"
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Do you have simple file sharing enabled?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    No, actually you can make a directory, stick files in it, then set up your directory security perms to permit sharing, then save the settings to a security group and then let the files inherit those settings by telling the main directory you set up to have its settings inherited by all subfolders and files. Get into the properties dialog for the new folder, then set up base access, then apply that, then click the advanced button and tell it to pass on its properites for security to all things in the folder.

XP SP2 will NOT let you do this to your boot or system partition without all sorts of folderol and yelling from the security center in it, or if your boot volume is your boot partition and you have no other partition on your only HD then I suggest you do this on a second HD installed in your computer you want to use as a peer pseudo-server. Then XP can protect itself and you can have a file sharing area that is decent and not part of your root operating system things.