Flash MX 2004 Pro Conversion

RewiredRewired Member
edited December 2004 in Internet & Media
Could someone possibly convert a FLA made in Flash MX 2004 Pro (Mac) to a Flash MX (PC) friendly format. I illustrated a character back at school where we use Macs and the latest version of Flash Pro. I would be really appreciative :)

-Michael

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    I'm not sure this is going to be possible, unless someone knows of a utility for this. The problem is not the Mac to PC part; .fla files should be compatible with both I think. The problem is backwards compatibility from MX 2004 to MX - there isn't any. I've had that happen to more than one of my projects. I start in MX, accidently use one of our two lab machines with MX 2004 on it, and am then stuck using those to machines forevermore to finish that project :( Macromedia kinda screwed the pooch on that one.
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited December 2004
    How bout compatibility with Fireworks MX? If I have to I would export the images as either AI or EPS..

Next semester I'm taking an animation course and I'm going to need to be able to go between the two. I guess if I really can't I'll need to upgrade..
  • rykoryko new york
    edited December 2004
    are you still in school? if so, you should be able to get an up-to-date flash mx 2004 for you own use for very cheap. most uniersities have software agreements that allow students to get dirt cheap software so that they can use the same stuff at home as in the labs....

if not, you can always download the free 30-day trial of flash mx 2004 from macromedia, and then you have 30 days to convert/view/change the file.
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited December 2004
    Yes, I got to school and Flash MX 2004 allowed me to save as a Flash MX file. So I can go between the two except certain funtions won't work such as ActionScripts and other functions.
    edited December 2004
    Good, glad you got it to work for you. Great avatar, btw. :)
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited December 2004
    I'm debating whether or not to major in computer graphics. I spent my first three semesters as a music major. Since then I've transferred to a community college in Nassau County, LI. I work for a software development company. I’m also thinking about majoring in Computer Information Systems or Networking. That said I'm currently taking general Liberal Arts classes. I should say Computer Science doesn't seem like a good option for me as I don't know if I'm capable of programming at a level that that would require of me. If anyone had any insight I would be grateful for it. Thank you.

-Michael
    edited December 2004
    There's a new major here at Juniata in Digital Media that's pretty cool. It combines IT with communications, mostly. Our "digital media zone", which supports all major video projects on campus, is completely student run. I'm manager of a different branch of the tech support (training). I have a minor in Multimedia Technology (which I created on my own, btw) but my major is in Social Studies Secondary Education so I'm not exactly up on this stuff...
  • rykoryko new york
    edited December 2004
    Well, here's my story....i went to Indiana University in Bloomington, and spent the first 2+ years of college as a fine arts major with a concentration in drawing. Then half way between my junior year i realized i didn't really want to be a starving artist or an art teacher, so i had to do something.

I checked out computer art related classes. Digital multimedia stuff like dreamweaver, flash, director, shockwave, after effects, and even 3d modeling/animation. My major remained fine arts, but my concentration became Electronic Multimedia. I ended up having to stay for 2 more years to get all of my digital media classes, but it ending up only being one extra semester to graduate (4 1/2 years). Also most classes are geared for art students, meaning the focus is on overall design. That being said you still need a certain amount of technical ability. It doesn't matter how good your concept is if you can't implement it. Also, some programming was required on my part. I learned a C++ variety language call Xtended Performer for some 3d modeling/animation, and i really liked it. It was challenging, but very intersting.

Now i thought i was prepared to go out in the real world and get a nice tech job, but i graduated in dec 2000. About 6 months or so after the big internet bubble burst. If i would have graduated in June 2000 like i was originally suppose to, i probably would have gotten a job right away.

Instead i floundered for 6-7 months doing horrible crappy odd jobs. Then i found a tech job through a friend, but it was being an assistant DBA. And i knew nothing about databases at that time since i had studied digital media. So basically i found a CS job, but i didn't exactly have a CS degree or experience. By some miracle, i actually was hired to be the assistant DBA. I didn't lie or anything, just told them that i was interested in learning and that i was good with computers. Well it was a steady pay check, but the job made me miserable. It was just not me. Not a single ounce of creativety went into that job. Everything had to be done by the book, and i couldn't take going into that office everyday at 8.30am and just wasting away in the server room for hours on end. So i quit after 11 months of hell.

Then i spent another 4-5 months doing a whole lot of nothing, and searching for the perfect job. I had been through so many bad interviews, when i got lucky again. I got an interview for web designer for this company called Expressions of Culture. They put on semi-annual art shows in Palm Beach, NY and Chicago called SOFAEXPO. With my art and digital media background, it was the perfect fit. Unfortunately, i had been doing DB's for the past year, so i had to brush up on my webdesign skills in a hurry. I submitted my digital portfolio for their review, and had only one interview with them. Then they hired me!

Fast foward 2+ years and i am still with them, and i actually like my job. No kidding! I work from home and make my own hours. It also allows me to be creative so i don't go crazy. I still have to design what they want, but at least i am not staring at numbers all day. check out www.sofaexpo.com if interested.....