Odd fah connection error

edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
edited August 2003 in Folding@Home
My machines connect OK, they send and recive OK.
But a couple fo times recently I have gotten a svchost error during the send/rcv.
In order to connect to internet the next time (dial up) I need to reboot my machines.
I am running w2k, my dial up is earthlink.
Any thoughts??

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Go to Symantec's website, look in the Virus Encyclopedia, and read about Blaster. I have had three boxes do this that had both bugbear and Blaster on them, and two with only Blaster. Bugbear fixer is also on the Symantec site. Try getting, scanning, and let us know what happens. Also, if you have applied the DCOM pathc or turned DCOM off manually, tell which as doing so can cause issues like that in 2000 Pre-SP4 or Pre-SP5 boxes. If virus killing, update your Norton defs after the killing of these viruses (or Trend Micro's PC-Cillin, which also knows these "bad dudes" though by perhaps a different name if updated August 13 or later, def set 604 has killers in it for you, for all those).

When done killing also patch your 2000 with the Blaster patch -- go to http://support.microsoft.com/ and there should be a red box off to right that has a link to a new Microsoft KB article (written August 15) that talks about what to do-- and has links to Symantec's killers for Blaster. If you do not disable the virus acting first per the Microsoft article, soem boxes do not act right until rebooted or RESET.

PLEASE do in this order:

Microsft article, disable DCOM (I think you will fidn you are disabling a servie with the name svchost in doing this, but follow Microsoft's advice as to how for 2000)in system admin console services pane, NO REBOOT, scan and kill virus, REBOOT, apply Microsoft patch from MS03-026 which is linked to on the KB article. This is for 2000 especially, and is the safeest way to do this.

If you can gather info and fixers with semibroken box, download to desktop, there are no viruses that act on the fixer patch and killer in the time we are talking to corrupt tham. Then kill and patch offline. Then go online again and see if folding is more normal.

John (wishing you the best of luck, some choices depend on looking at your My Computer, right click icon, click properties, and look at version which in 2000 should have SP info so you know if the box has been service packed)