Norton AntiSpam and Outlook

gtghmgtghm New
edited December 2004 in Science & Tech
Ok this is getting to me. :(

I have scanned my system with all the spyware, trojan, and virus programs out there, I have done a repair of Outlook and Win XP everything is running normally and with out issues except for my Norton Antispam.

It works on my Laptop just fine and it used to work on my main rig too.

I have completely removed and reinstalled it at least 10 times.

I have followed the directions to clean unstall both the AntiSpam and the AntiVirus.

It seems that the Antispam rule is not getting configured properly and I don't know where to fix it.

Is there something in the registery or a manual way of fixing this...?

I know that nortons idea of fixing things is to uninstall and reinstall... well that didn't work...

Help please, I'm getting very frustrated with it.

Thanks,
"g"

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    How about uninstalling, using a program like RegCleaner to delete the program's registry entries and delete any folders it left behind?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2004
    gtghm wrote:
    ...It seems that the Antispam rule is not getting configured properly and I don't know where to fix it...
    I'd try what Black Hawk said.

What happens, exactly? Do you get error messages, or does it just not filter the junk like it is supposed to?

Could it be conflicting with the new SP2 security measures, or the Outlook junk email rule? My junk email rule in Outlook 2000 only rarely seems to work at all, then when it does it merely copies the spam to the junk email Folder. Lucky me - I get to delete the same garbage twice... :rolleyes:
  • Access_DeniedAccess_Denied tennessee
    edited December 2004
    M$ = useless

im sure majorgeeks.com has some programs to wipe out all the junk registry entrys that you may have

edit// they want you to pay for a program called CleanMyPc so dont bother with that one
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2004
    RegCleaner (Free!) :)
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited December 2004
    profdlp wrote:
    I'd try what Black Hawk said.

What happens, exactly? Do you get error messages, or does it just not filter the junk like it is supposed to?

It just does not filter. Its not installing the rule correctly for some reason.

The last few installs after the install and update process you could launch outlook go to tools and rule options and see a norton antispam rule.

The first install, when it worked, showed the rule properly, but then it started showing as a blank name but described as a norton antispam rule and then finally now it shows no rule at all after the install.
    I know it sounds like a bug but I have checked my system over and over again with online scans as well as all the regular spyware and trojan progys and all show that the system is fine.

Truth is, I think that I got a crappy OS install wayback when, as I have had issues with the registery not giving proper permissions to programs to run after installation. But its like my server and I just don't to go through a wipre out and reintall the OS and try to go through the process if configuring my system again.

IM hopeing that its just a registry thing and that I can fix the norton thing by just creating a rule but I don't know how to do that manually.

I thought that I could just import the rule into Outlook from the Norton Antispam folder but there is not an Outlook recognizable rule file in there to upload.

Thanks,
    "g"
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Well you could always try a repair installation or some registry fixing program (never really tried one).