What would be the best OC for me?

maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
edited December 2004 in Hardware
What would be the best Oc settings fro my system?

ASUS K8VSE Deluxe MotherBoard
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Stock HSF
1GB DDR OCZ PC3200
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB with CoolerMaster VIVA Heatpipe heatsink installed (best OC settings)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    What KIND of OCZ PC3200?
    What revision is your Athlon 64?
    What core is it?
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited December 2004
    I will have to check that out when i get home from work, where would i find the revision of my cpu and the type of ocz pc3200 ram?
    edited December 2004
    I know the OCZ PC3200 is DDR 400Mhz
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    No, I mean.. PC3200 Gold? PC3200 Platinum? Rev1? Rev2? Specific name of the type you bought.

The revision on your CPU would be etched into the heatspreader; but it would also help to know if it's a clawhammer or newcastle.
    edited December 2004
    could i use the cpu-z program to find that out? and i believe it's a clawhammer cause it only has 512kb L2 cache
  • edited December 2004
    Yeah, cpu-z will tell you the revision of your 3200.
    edited December 2004
    ok cool thnx, i'll get the info up as soon as i can when i get home from work, wanting to reformat my hd to give me a clean start
    edited December 2004
    Ok i'm sorry it's not ocz memory but the sticker on the memory says
    X2 Dual Channel TRUE CAS2
    PC3200 DDR 400(512)
    edited December 2004
    so anybody gonna help me out here?
  • edited December 2004
    I don't know much about socket 754 boards but I'll take a stab at helping you. I just checked your mobo out and it's using the 8KT800 chipset, which I don't believe has a working pci/agp lock, so you won't be able to overclock it too much(correct me if I'm wrong about that anyone). You should still be good to around 220-225 HTT though so you should be able to get some more speed out of your Newcastle. :)

First, you need to see what the spd timings on your ram are set at; it will give us an idea of which OCZ ram you have. Open up cpu-z and then click on the SPD tab and see what timings are programmed on the ram. if it's 2-2-2-5, then you have TCCD ram which overclocks pretty darn well.

First of all, go into bios and set the LDT mulpilier from X4 to X3 so you HTT bus isn't running out of spec and then you might go ahead to the ram settings and loosen them up just a tad over what is programmed into the spd on them. Then go into bios and up your HTT frequency from 200 to maybe 205 and save settings and reboot. Stress test at this speed and if stable, then go ahead and try boosting the HTT frequency up a little more. Keep doing this until you find your max speed the proc or mobo will do. If it's less than 220, then you might try to raise vcore up and see how it does until you find your max stable overclock.
    edited December 2004
    cool, i'm at work right now but i do know the CAS is 2
    edited December 2004
    oh also i had the htt up to 220 before and it ran fine, at the stock vcore, i'll have to look at it some more when i get home, and where would i find the multi thing at your talking about?

what is the LDT multi?