Semi Pro DV Camcorder

CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
edited December 2004 in Internet & Media
Well, many of you may know me around here as the resident amature film maker. All of my films and projects so far have been made using a Sony DCR-TRV-250 Digital8 Camcorder, and, while it gets the job done, it's not really the greatest for what I'm trying to do and my needs are starting to require a more professoinal camera.

I've tried looking at cameras like the XL-1 and GL2 on ebay but even on there most of the prices are in the $2k-$3k range. While I'd love to have one of those cameras, I simply can't afford it.

Recently I've been looking at the Panasonic MultiCam
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1067391428699&skuId=6194502&productCategoryId=cat04015&type=product

however, I saw it in person and it's really a very tiny camera, which some really like but I'm looking for something that's gonna have a little bulk to it for solid recording. Cameras like the XL1/GL2 can be equipped with shoulder mounts I've noticed and ideally I'd like something like that but shoulder mount is typically not available for consumer cameras

That Panasonic has some great features for the price ($700); 3CCD system, mic in recording (required for my next purchase, sound quality is a big problem on our new show we're working on), headset jack for mic in monitoring (not required but a definite plus), im not sure if it has manual white balance or not.

But anyway, this camera embodies all the features i want/need at a reasonable price, however, i'm wondering if theres a camera maybe I'm missing. I know a few of you around here work in professional video production and maybe one of you could direct me towards a camera you could recommend with these features or perhaps a used camera model i should be looking for that could come in at a reasonable price on ebay or something.

Comments

• edited December 2004
    Talk to RyThom. He's all about the pro digital cameras.
  • RyThomRyThom Ypsilanti, MI
    edited December 2004
    Looking for a good independent film camcorder, eh? Well,I dont have a lot of experience with the Panasonic you were looking at, but I have been using the XL-1 almost every other day for the last 4 years and can give you a very soild opinion of the camera.

Basically, it's awesome and theres no other camera on the market that I would want to use as my main studio camera. It has its quirks, but then again, what piece of electronics doesnt. The picture quality is superb, sound is incredible (the stock boom mic provides some amazingly full sound, just not great at long distances or in poor acoustics - it picks up everything), and the variety of options is staggering - ive never used them all. It does come with the shoulder mount you were interested in, plus the headphone jack (VERY useful), manual white balance, image stabalizer, many nice manual controls, and more. The whole nine yards.

The downsides to the XL-1 are, first and foremost - the cost. Let's face it - dropping more than $2000 on anything is rough, so make sure you want it before spending the money. Also, the XL-1 must have ample light. Even if you crank the iris, you've gotta have a well lit shot. This is no problem for anything you'd do in a studio or outdoor, but you can all but forget about night scenes, unless you've a good lighting kit. Also, the rear audio input is not amplified, so you're going to have to make use of some adapters if you want to go multi mic, or do the right thing and get a sound board. Lastly, its big. Too big for easy travel, vacation footage, and tight spaces. If I had a quarter for each time I said "I wish I had a GL-2 right now" when trying to shoot something in a close space, i'd probably have enough money to buy one.

So there you have it - your basic pros and cons of the XL-1. If you'd like more detail on the camera, or just want to talk cameras, film, and whatever, hit me up on AIM - Rynatron, e-mail rythom42@hotmail.com, or PM me. :thumbsup:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Cam, I look at this using the same philosophy as the digital still camera quandary that I went through a few months ago:

I had outgrown the point-n-shoot Kodak that I had been using forever. I wanted something that let me grow into it, instead of holding me back in certain areas.

I did not have the money to drop on a digital SLR. I had looked at "advanced home user" stuff in the $400-$500 range, but all I really saw were advanced versions of the camera I had already outgrown.

I decided to save my money and not buy a camera that I didn't really want. When I finally was able to get the digital SLR that I really wanted, I knew I made the right choice. I do not regret it one bit. I love my camera, it has enabled me to grow as an artist.

If you're gonna drop $700 on a camera that will limit you, that's $700 further away from the camera that you really need. What I would do is bank the $700, put a few hundred a month away, and then when you are able to get an XL1 or a GL2, get it, and don't look back. You won't regret it, man..

Also, I have a client and a good friend who actually is a studio video pro, and he recently bought a new camera that he is raving about. I THINK it's a panasonic or a JVC, I can't remember. I'll see if I can coax him into posting here.
  • edited December 2004
    Camman wrote:
    Well, many of you may know me around here as the resident amature film maker. All of my films and projects so far have been made using a Sony DCR-TRV-250 Digital8 Camcorder, and, while it gets the job done, it's not really the greatest for what I'm trying to do and my needs are starting to require a more professoinal camera.

I've tried looking at cameras like the XL-1 and GL2 on ebay but even on there most of the prices are in the $2k-$3k range. While I'd love to have one of those cameras, I simply can't afford it.

Recently I've been looking at the Panasonic MultiCam
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1067391428699&skuId=6194502&productCategoryId=cat04015&type=product

however, I saw it in person and it's really a very tiny camera, which some really like but I'm looking for something that's gonna have a little bulk to it for solid recording. Cameras like the XL1/GL2 can be equipped with shoulder mounts I've noticed and ideally I'd like something like that but shoulder mount is typically not available for consumer cameras

That Panasonic has some great features for the price ($700); 3CCD system, mic in recording (required for my next purchase, sound quality is a big problem on our new show we're working on), headset jack for mic in monitoring (not required but a definite plus), im not sure if it has manual white balance or not.

But anyway, this camera embodies all the features i want/need at a reasonable price, however, i'm wondering if theres a camera maybe I'm missing. I know a few of you around here work in professional video production and maybe one of you could direct me towards a camera you could recommend with these features or perhaps a used camera model i should be looking for that could come in at a reasonable price on ebay or something.

Hi Camman.
    I am a friend of Prime Suspect.
    We have a video production company and just bought a bigger Panasonic DVX100A which has been a dream for quite some time. But as i use it for an interface to my PC (into Premiere) i wanted a smaller, similar brand camera (for tape compatibilty) so as to not use the larger (more expensive ) camera for just interface duties. I found something very similar to the one you describe. Panasonic GS-120 $548.95 from this wonderful site:
    http://www.profeel.com/pvgs120.htm

Haven't checked all the features on yours, but this does have manual and auto (and several other convenient presets) white balance. and it is 3 chip. and it can nearly fit in your shirt pocket. you really ought to see the picture quality of this. It rivals that of its big brother. Ok keep me posted. Good luck!
    edited December 2004
    Looks like I coaxed :)

Hi randy!
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Thanks for all the info everybody, Semper Media, that link is to the same camera I was talking about, it does look like it has a lot of feature I want, but I'm afraid Brian might be right, that I should just wait and purchase the camera I REALLY want rather than spending the money on something that will be better than what I currently have.

On a related note... and ad that showed up ON THIS PAGE! (googleads really does work!) I saw this:

http://royalcamera.com/cangl2digcam.html

thats like an actual realistic price! I wonder if something is up with that page, a GL2 for under $1200????? That's pretty damn sweet, I most certainly have that page bookmarked, anybody heard of this place???
    edited December 2004
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Ja, I'd say: stick it out and get the XL1. It's worth the price. Get a steady-cam pod for it too. Those are fun. :)
    edited December 2004
    wow. those reseller ratings are horrible. How can they stay in business? :wtf:
    edited December 2004
    haha, even better, I sent them the following email
    Camman wrote:
    I found your site through a Google AdSense ad and I'm curious as to how you are able to offer prices on some of the items on your site.

I'm a little wary about dealing with new companies I find online but I am considering purchasing a Canon GL2, however, I've seen it at most places for $2200-$2700 generally but I see you have it for $1,179.00! How is it that you can offer it SO much cheaper than everywhere else? Another example is the Canon XL2 retails for over $4000 but I see you offer it for around $2200, seems like it's too good to be true?

-Cameron O.

and their response was
    (notice the sweet @aol.com address they use)
    we have them in stock, to order please call us at 800-301-1778 or visit us at www.royalcamera.com
    thanks

yeah, thanks alot, that really answers my questions...wont be dealing with this place