No Electricity

mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
edited December 2004 in Folding@Home
I woke up Thursday morning to find out we had no electricity. I went to work and still none. Came home and the apartment complex was totally dark so none yet.

I dont know what caused it but my guess was a fallen tree from all the freezing rain or the freezing rain took something else out.

I was planning on going home that night when I got home but I got home at 11:20 I called home and was told to stay there since they were at a level 3, at least neighboring counties were at lvl 3, our sheriff doesnt believe in that thing. My home town got like 18" and some places over 20". Its crazy. I heard I-70 was like a parking lot when it first started coming down. No one could go anywhere. There are hardly any exits from Columbus to Dayton so everyone was stranded. There were still cars every so often off the side of the road when I came home on Friday morning. Saw one in the opposite ditch, all I saw were the tires over the snow.

So I had so stay there and freeze my ass off in my bed. 2 of my roommates were in bed already since there was nothing to do and we are so technology dependent for entertainment its rediculous. So to bed I went as well at 11:30, ugh!

No electricity by the time I left for home yesterday sometime after 11AM. I heard we night not get any power until Sunday maybe, kinda hard to get news like that without power and no radio.

So today was the first chance I've been able to get on the internet. All my machines are off for now and wont be on until I get back to the Apt Sunday night or Monday morning, and then its even if we have power. If not I'm headed off for to a friends house til we get power back.

So I figured I would tell everyone why production dropped to basically ZERO right now. I have my laptop and my parents computer still running and thats the extent of my production as far as I can tell. And this 1.6 P-M is flying. Over 1700 PPW on a p1325 310 Point WU. For awhile when everything else was getting small gromacs, the lappy was doubling anything else I had folding.

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2004
    Pic of EM3 on the Lappy.
    em3.PNG 16.5K
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited December 2004
    Hi MM!

Where can I download EM3 from, please? Does it calculate the points for the comp which is folding or for all folding comps?

Thanks
    edited December 2004
    You can get it from http://www.EM-DC.com

It will only Calculate the points like that for one computer at a time. Once you get EM3, (The EM Protein Calculator comes with the download) right click on the computer name or the processor speed on the main window and there is an option for Calculating the points for the WU the selected computer is working on. You can also open up the Calculator on its own, select a WU from the drop down box, type in the time, and Calculate it that way.

I dont think it can calculate the total PPW from more than one computer. You can easily add that up on your own though.

LMK if you need help setting it up or have any more questions.
    edited December 2004
    Thanks MM, I downloaded EMIII.
    Once you get EM3, (The EM Protein Calculator comes with the download) right click on the computer name or the processor speed on the main window and there is an option for Calculating the points for the WU the selected computer is working on.

I saved EMIII to a folder on my desktop. What main window do you mean coz I don't know where the computer name or processor speed is?
    You can also open up the Calculator on its own, select a WU from the drop down box, type in the time, and Calculate it that way.

There are so many WU's from the drop down box, which do I choose? And do I put the current time in the box?

Thanks for your help
    edited December 2004
    Well unzip the EM3 downloaded file. There should be a bunch of files that unzip.

Run the EMIII.exe file. Something like the first attachment should come up. The main window is the part on the right. The left part should come up the first time you run EM3. Otherwise, press the little microscope on the main window to get to the screen on the left.

Next enter the info in the red boxes on the second pic.

Click 'Add Box'

Click 'Save and Exit'

You might have to go back and enter your CPU info again since for some reason it doesnt save that information sometimes. Re-enter the info and Click 'Save Editing' and press Ok when the Confirmation box comes up.

Now you should have something like the part on the right on the first pic. If you right click on the Computer name (Laptop) or Processor Infomation box (1.6 P-M) there is an option to Calculate. It will use the current WU and its current frame time to calculate it for you.

As for what WU to pick, pick the one you are currently working on. Like I would pick p1325.... As for the time, enter the 'Time Per Frame'. EM3 displays this for you. And you have to enter it like HH:MM:SS or else it wont work currectly and it will tell you so.

Hopefully that will help you out.
    edited December 2004
    Thanks MM, I followed your instructions and it's working.

damn...I don't get much points for WU's but then again, I knew that.

:thumbsup: