Norton and SATA/RAID problem?

E2RE2R
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
I purchased a GA-7N400 Pro2 rev2 MB and also 2 x WD SATA 37.5Gb 10K 8Mb disks, AMD Athlon 3000+, 2 x 512Mb DDR.

Everything worked fine so I set up the Bios to raid and the silicon setup to RAID 0 then installed Windows XP SP2 which was very quick indeed.

Everything seemed perfect until I loaded Norton 2005 software which at a very early satge in the installation caused a re-boot. I started again and reloaded XP only for the system to re-boot at the exact same point.
I loaded the latest Bios and latest drivers - exactly the same.
I added an IDE disk and successfully loaded norton onto that!
Removed the IDE and changed SATA from RAID 0 to RAID 1 with the same problem but an error message from XP that was on the screen too short a time for me to read.

Any ideas what the problem may be. Office 2003 loads fine it's just Norton.

Help E2R

Comments

• edited February 2005
    I seem to be having the same problem: PC built this weekend.

But using Maxtor SATA 80Gb , AMD Athlon 3200

If you want to discuss matter further, contact me on

peterclareNOSPAM@blueyonder.co.uk

regards

Peter Clare [Liverpool - England]

E-mail edited by Spinner, remove the NOSPAM.
  • b0wzb0wz Tri-Cities Washington, USA
    edited February 2005
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Might want to read up on some bios issues with Gigabyte, I had two boards, and set a few up for friends, and to get the latest sata chip drivers in the bios, i had to use a modded bios, and the latest drivers, then, and only then, did my raid 0 work, as a boot drive, do load xp with only the raid 0 connected, ide drives will hose the install (winblows wants to throw its crap on the ide), then plug your ide's back in line, once you have your config the way you want it. Modded bios' stuff from Spinner, and Equito, and there is another bios modder.....all three are life savers in my book:)
  • edited March 2005
    Did same as original poster.....all works perfectly till one attempts to install NAV2005. did the IDE drive as well and it worked, etc. Contacted Symantec after looking in their online support and got the following:

"I also understand from your message that you want to know whether NAV is compatible with Raid or Sata.

Please be aware NAV is not compatible with Raid and Sata.''

Well there it is, unbelivable as it seems, you can't use Norton with SATA or raid!
    Seems a bit stupid to not do so since this is where computers are going. And what about the money paid out in good faith on a product that does not say it is not compatable with the new drives. Think Symantec need to address this issue fast.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited March 2005
    aussie1 wrote:
    Did same as original poster.....all works perfectly till one attempts to install NAV2005. did the IDE drive as well and it worked, etc. Contacted Symantec after looking in their online support and got the following:

"I also understand from your message that you want to know whether NAV is compatible with Raid or Sata.

Please be aware NAV is not compatible with Raid and Sata.''

Well there it is, unbelivable as it seems, you can't use Norton with SATA or raid!
    Seems a bit stupid to not do so since this is where computers are going. And what about the money paid out in good faith on a product that does not say it is not compatable with the new drives. Think Symantec need to address this issue fast.
    I use NIS 2005 (which includes NAV 2005) under a SATA RAID 0 array on a SI3x12 controller just fine. I've always used NAV and/or NIS and I've always used RAID.

Also it might be worth noting, I have the exact same RAID config as E2R, two Raptors on the SI 3x12 SATA controller in RAID 0.

NAV is perfectly compatible with RAID and SATA. Any problems people might be having are not as a result of generic in-compatibilities with SATA and/or RAID, why? Because generic in-compatibilities with NAV or NIS don't exist with SATA and/or RAID. ;)

That doesn't mean people don't have problems with SATA or RAID drivers and NAV, it just means that there is as much chance as NAV (for example) having a problem with a certain revision of an AGP driver or IDE driver, or even a webcam driver as there is of it bawking at a particular SATA device driver. :)

SATA is pretty much the standard hard drive interface now. Symantec would not have a product on the market that doesn't support the majority if not all of the new computer systems built today. Please link me to the source of the information you quoted.

To address your post E2R, you didn't specify what Norton product you were using? Antivirus, Ghost? What?

To address your actual problem aussie1, the problem could be many things, at what point does NAV start to go pear shaped during its installation? What are your system specs? Is your system free of spyware and viruses? Did NAV fail to setup after a fresh install of Windows on the SATA device? More info please mate.

Edit: I don't know if this is of any help to anyone, or if it's even relevant: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/529c2f9adcf33a1088256e22005026f1/10eaa5fc1148e6f888256bf40056e227?OpenDocument&prod=&ver=&tpre=eu&src=eu_sg&csm=no and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822789

Anyone who has a problem like this might want to consider (if it's convenient) to re-install Windows, and then straight away after the setup has completed and you've re-started once, try installing NAV without installing anything else before hand, not even any drivers (excluding of course any drivers required for the Windows setup to run). If everything works as it should, where as previously it didn't, that will tell you that it was some third party driver or software application you had installed or did install that was causing NAV to have a hissy fit. If it does still have a hissy fit, then you'll know it's a more base line compatibility problem with the hardware or the default drivers Windows installed for it.
  • edited March 2005
    Spinner wrote:
    I use NIS 2005 (which includes NAV 2005) under a SATA RAID 0 array on a SI3x12 controller just fine. I've always used NAV and/or NIS and I've always used RAID.

Also it might be worth noting, I have the exact same RAID config as E2R, two Raptors on the SI 3x12 SATA controller in RAID 0.

NAV is perfectly compatible with RAID and SATA. Any problems people might be having are not as a result of generic in-compatibilities with SATA and/or RAID, why? Because generic in-compatibilities with NAV or NIS don't exist with SATA and/or RAID. ;)

That doesn't mean people don't have problems with SATA or RAID drivers and NAV, it just means that there is as much chance as NAV (for example) having a problem with a certain revision of an AGP driver or IDE driver, or even a webcam driver as there is of it bawking at a particular SATA device driver. :)

SATA is pretty much the standard hard drive interface now. Symantec would not have a product on the market that doesn't support the majority if not all of the new computer systems built today. Please link me to the source of the information you quoted.

To address your post E2R, you didn't specify what Norton product you were using? Antivirus, Ghost? What?

To address your actual problem aussie1, the problem could be many things, at what point does NAV start to go pear shaped during its installation? What are your system specs? Is your system free of spyware and viruses? Did NAV fail to setup after a fresh install of Windows on the SATA device? More info please mate.

Edit: I don't know if this is of any help to anyone, or if it's even relevant: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/529c2f9adcf33a1088256e22005026f1/10eaa5fc1148e6f888256bf40056e227?OpenDocument&prod=&ver=&tpre=eu&src=eu_sg&csm=no and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822789

Anyone who has a problem like this might want to consider (if it's convenient) to re-install Windows, and then straight away after the setup has completed and you've re-started once, try installing NAV without installing anything else before hand, not even any drivers (excluding of course any drivers required for the Windows setup to run). If everything works as it should, where as previously it didn't, that will tell you that it was some third party driver or software application you had installed or did install that was causing NAV to have a hissy fit. If it does still have a hissy fit, then you'll know it's a more base line compatibility problem with the hardware or the default drivers Windows installed for it.

I was also suprised that Symantec products don't work on SATA, but since the information came direct from a Symantec tech email

Please be aware NAV is not compatible with Raid and Sata.

Please feel free to contact us for further assistance.

Regards,

Madhura Janardhan
    Symantec Authorized Technical Support
    "

One would have to assume that they know their own product!

As for having virus or driver issues, - I installed two SATA 76Mb drives in a raid 0 (striped) setup, divided into 4 partitions and set stripes and clusters both to 16k, installed Win XP with F6 used to load the Sata drivers (Silicon3112 in this case). All worked perfectly, XP was happy, installed SP2, then next attempted Norton Antivirus 2005 (new OEM copy). It did the pre-install scan and then promply crashed the system early on into copying/instaling the files, the last item I saw (on all occasions I attempted it) was the line "setting up folders".

So as stated, very much the same deal as E2R. and covers your last paragraph I think... system is XP3000+ 1GB DDR333, Albatron MoBo -nForce chipset.

Also, if you do search on web "Norton SATA" you come up with several hits of sites with Norton issues on SATA drives (with a least for ghost some workarounds).

So, what else can one do, new install, no virus, no other driver issues. You say NAV is working on your SATA drives (not off an IDE drive) then you are the lucky one.
  • edited March 2005
    News flash: Fixed the issue

Had me thinking, why would it work on one machine and not others, :scratch: so I thought I'd go through the exercise of looking for more posts on sata drivers and found a lead about getting the XP device manager to look for driver updates on their web site (as against looking for the drivers themselves), found I had Sil 3112 SATARaid controller v1.0.0.33 and the upgrade gave me v1.0.0.51, which dosn't sound like a whole lot different, but quite clearly the SATA driver upgrade did something because, :eek: lol, after cleaning out the registry of Symantec from the previous attempts and a restart I was able to install NAV on my SATA drive. :thumbsup:
    Suggest all others with this problem do the same.

Now funny as it sounds, Norton still claim their product does not work with SATA :confused: and I reproduce from their latest email just recieved:-

I understand your concerns regarding this issue. Please note that SATA hard drive is not compatible with Norton AntiVirus. Symantec would like to apologize for any inconvenience or loss of time this issue has caused you. This issue has been reported to Symantec Development, but currently we have not been able to reproduce this.

Our support staff thanks you for your patience as we investigate the root cause of this situation. We will continue our efforts in tracking this issue.

Go figure, should I tell them they are wrong and don't know their own product? ;)
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited March 2005
    But half the time the techs answering emails for support are just compete nitwits. Noobs to the n'th degree. Your lucky you even got one that appears to have english as his first or second language. That in itself is getting harder and harder anymore. A Dell or Compaq phone tech that speaks english is almost a lost artform. They are all in India anymore. I am not real good with accents and it's impossible with some to even make sense of what they are saying. And it works both ways I am sure. I have had several phone conversations with Shorty from the site here and I bet he can't understand me when I talk fast and get excited. He just starts laughing at me for Pete's sake.

The Nortons tech took the safe route. I have used nortons including 2005 on dozens of wildly varying raid setups form ide/sata to high end scsi with no problems.

Unfortunatly it's just another case of getting better support from any where BUT their own techs.

Tex
    edited March 2005
    Tex wrote:
    But half the time the techs answering emails for support are just compete nitwits. Noobs to the n'th degree. You lucky you even got one that appears to have english as his first or second language. That in itself is getting harder and harder anymore. A Dell or Compaq phone tech that speaks english is almost a lost artform. They are all in India anymore.

The Nortons tech took the safe route. I have used nortons including 2005 on dozens of wildly varying raid setups form ide/sata to high end scsi with no problems.

Unfortunatly it's just another case of getting better support from any where BUT their own techs.

Tex
    Indeed.
    aussie1 wrote:
    News flash: Fixed the issue

Had me thinking, why would it work on one machine and not others, :scratch: so I thought I'd go through the exercise of looking for more posts on sata drivers and found a lead about getting the XP device manager to look for driver updates on their web site (as against looking for the drivers themselves), found I had Sil 3112 SATARaid controller v1.0.0.33 and the upgrade gave me v1.0.0.51, which dosn't sound like a whole lot different, but quite clearly the SATA driver upgrade did something because, :eek: lol, after cleaning out the registry of Symantec from the previous attempts and a restart I was able to install NAV on my SATA drive. :thumbsup:
    Suggest all others with this problem do the same.

Now funny as it sounds, Norton still claim their product does not work with SATA :confused: and I reproduce from their latest email just recieved:-

I understand your concerns regarding this issue. Please note that SATA hard drive is not compatible with Norton AntiVirus. Symantec would like to apologize for any inconvenience or loss of time this issue has caused you. This issue has been reported to Symantec Development, but currently we have not been able to reproduce this.

Our support staff thanks you for your patience as we investigate the root cause of this situation. We will continue our efforts in tracking this issue.

Go figure, should I tell them they are wrong and don't know their own product? ;)
    Yes you should. ;D

It's always very important to keep your driver files up to date, especially when it comes to RAID. Those SI v1.0.0.33 drivers were well out of date by a good couple of years.

Golden rule: Before installing or setting up, make sure your motherboard BIOS and controller BIOS's are up to date and that if you do need a third party driver for the Windows setup, make sure it's the very latest.

You'd be suprised how many problems can be side stepped by following that simple rule.

Very pleased you got it sorted mate, and yes... I'm using the latest SI RAID driver version on my setup. ;)

If you want accurate info from Symantec, use their online knowledge base. I imagine the big wigs don't let the chimps write content for their website.

Cheers
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited March 2005
    Spinner wrote:
    If you want accurate info from Symantec, use their online knowledge base. I imagine the big wigs don't let the chimps write content for their website.
    Cheers

I loved the line btw... No the chimps can't write content. It is against the rules.... They are only allowed to copy and paste. (grin)

Cheers

tex
    edited March 2005
    Tex wrote:
    I loved the line btw... No the chimps can't write content. It is against the rules.... They are only allowed to copy and paste. (grin)

Cheers

tex
    ;D