iTunes is crap, and other assorted rants...

GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
edited December 2004 in Internet & Media
So, maybe I'm thinking about going legit, but all of the music downloading companies make it so difficult! All I want is a service that will let me do whatever I want with the files I've paid for, without it having to check with big brother first. Well, I'm out of luck, because the the only service out there that I can find that allows me to download nice, unsecured mp3s is emusic, and they only have independent labels. Sure, there would be music on their service I would want, but they don't have a lot of other things that I want that are "too mainstream."

Accepting that I'm going to have to download files with digital rights management built in, I start looking at iTunes, since I know they have a large selection of music. But wait, you can't use any portable players with their service except the horribly overpriced iPod! Hell if I buy one of those. Sure, you can get around it by burning a cd and ripping it, but I'm not going to go through all of that effort and waste CD-Rs. I'm trying to go legit here, I shouldn't have to jump through hoops!

Napster seems like the only viable alternative. A part of my soul would die if I went with RealMedia's Rhapsody, and we wouldn't want that. So, I'll probably get Napster, but I'll bet they don't support my el cheapo GPX MP3 player (since it doesn't support DRM). I'll end up buying another MP3 player I guess, but at least I'll save myself some change by not having to buy an iPod.

At any rate, if there's any better options for downloading music, let me know.

Comments

• MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited December 2004
    Theres no way to convert the music files you download from iTunes? I'm unfamiliar with iTunes or any other legit downloading sites, and even more so on how they protect their songs.

Yeah Ipod is really overrated, i own a Creative Zen Xtra 30Gb, it rocks:Rocker:
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    My brother has the Zen 30gig as well. The headset jack had problems a little bit ago, leaving him with music only coming out of one earplug. He contacted Creative, who replaced the entire device free of charge even though the warrenty was over. Gotta say something about the company I suppose. All this after about a year and a half of use.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    I'm not too familiar on converting the downloaded files from iTunes, but even if there was a way, it's irritating to have to do it. Why can't I pay for a product that comes exactly the way I want it?

Yeah, I like some of the players like the Zen. I might end up getting something like that to use with Napster and my current colleciton of music. It's just irritating that Apple is playing hardball and not supporting other players with iTunes.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    there are hundreds of players compatible with MSN Music, I suggest you check that out

http://beta.music.msn.com/
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Yeah Ipod is really overrated, i own a Creative Zen Xtra 30Gb, it rocks:Rocker:

funny thing is, I used to think the iPod was overpriced and not worth it...

then i got one, and let me tell ya, i want another one. i use it probably 3-4hrs/day and have just fell in love with it. i have the 20gb model. i know some others are cheaper/have more storage, but the interface is just perfect and the sound quality is very good for mp3's.

i use iTunes now since i have an iPod, but i will admit i like winamp alot better.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    fatcat6 -

as it was pointed out to me in this thread:
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25373

there's a plugin for winamp that lets you play m4p files.
    edited December 2004
    shwaip wrote:
    fatcat6 -

as it was pointed out to me in this thread:
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25373

there's a plugin for winamp that lets you play m4p files.

thank you for the link :thumbsup:

problem is winamp cant transfer mp3's to my iPod, only iTunes can. probably my only gripe with my iPod. iTunes isnt bad, i just prefer winamp to play mp3's.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2004
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    facat, u can use EphPod to transfer mp3 to your ipod

http://www.ephpod.com/download.shtml
    edited December 2004
    shwaip and leishi85....THANK YOU! :thumbsup:
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Hooray for M4P plugins! I have no love for iTunes as a player but for a music service it seems nice enough.