Windows 2000 Server -vs- Windows 2003 Server?

XyphusXyphus South Bend, Indiana
edited September 2003 in Science & Tech
Hmmm... I am currently running Windows 2000 Server on my home LAN. It basically serves as a file server and a web server for our (me, wife, cats, etc.) personal web page and small forum, and to share files/printer/etc.

I recently recieved a copy of Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition from a promo Microsoft had on their web site, and thought about installing it and mussing around with it to try it out.

The thing is that I have W2K Server running happily. Fully patched, working smoothly, etc.

Is W2K3 server worth the hassle to install it? Is it really that much different than W2K Server to warrant me even looking into using it, and possibly a purchase later when the trial time is up?

I tend to follow the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" mentality when it comes to servers... (I'm somewhat the exact opposite when it comes to my main gaming/apps/fiddling rig running WXP Pro.. I tend to like to experiment with the new drivers, apps, tweaks, etc. as they come out...) :)

Any opinions/suggestions/reccomendations/etc. are welcome.. :) I know some of you have tried out W2K3 Server and I respect your input.

Thanks!

Comments

• SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited August 2003
    IIS on Win2K3 Server is a little more secure "out of the box" than the IIS on Windows 2000 Server. However, with a few modifications & tweaks, Win2K's IIS can be just as every little bit secure as the new version.

For what you are using, I'd stick with Win2K server. Again, if it ain't broken, why fix it (at least when it comes to servers). :)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    If you already have a fully working 2000 server, patched and locked down.. there isn't much that you are missing :)

Windows 2003 server is more a hop jump over 2k server if you are still running NT server. It's a logical upgrade but not a requirement. :)
  • edited September 2003
    Windows 2003 server is a VAST improvement over Win2K, however for what you're doing you won't notice much of a difference - if at all! My suggestion - keep 2K server. 2K3's improvements are almost all active directory improvements, something which you will never use.