Dial Up on two comp

edited December 2004 in Science & Tech
Allright, I got dial up and i want to access the internet with my laptop while i am on the internet on my other comp. But I dont have a second line. I will have Verison DSL service in my area soon though, as they are working in our neighborhood and they hung their little thing outside out front door. I can buy a router but i dont know it they work with dial-up as well as DSL and my laptop is wireless ready. So can i access the internet with two comp when i have dial-up without a second line?

Comments

• ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited December 2004
    Nope. And if try to do like ICS or some other program that shares dial up it will be REALLY slow.
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Well, I did that for the longest time. (Used ICS with dial-up) It was slow, but it was better than nothing.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    The easiest way to do it would be to use ICS, as mentioned... It will be pretty slow but there's no way of speeding it up (I think). This is what to do:
    1) Get a 100mbps PCI NIC for the desktop (the first comp is a desktop, right?) if it doesn't already have one
    2) Get an Ethernet crossover cable long enough to connect the two computers
    3) Go into the properties of the dial-up connection and share it

That's generally all, although I haven't included all the possible details. The parts mentioned are pretty cheap if you haven't got them.
  • Access_DeniedAccess_Denied tennessee
    edited December 2004
    that sell crossover cables too so it elimanates haveing to have a hub and 2 peices of network cable. this is how i do it.

ohh btw if you have AOL your sol, they wontl et you share the connection
  • edited December 2004
    sectorz715 wrote:
    I can buy a router but i dont know it they work with dial-up as well as DSL
    Actually some routers can work with stand alone dialup modems. If the router has a COM port on it, many can control the dialup modem and share the connection with any of the LAN ports. It's slow but it works. My old D-Link 704p is connected to both my DSL modem on the LAN port and the dialup modem is connected to the router COM port. The router controls the dialing functions quite nicely. It's a good backup for the very occasional times DSL goes down. When ever I use it I'm quickly reminded how much I love my DSL. HTH