TV On PC - No Aerial

edited January 2005 in Internet & Media
Can anyone help a newb?

Yesterday, I bought (on a rash decision) a USB TV tuner thing from PC World. It said it had all the Freeview channels etc that i could watch digitally. However, after opening the product, I noticed the hardware needs to be connected to an aerial or cable box.

Now the hole point of me trying to get this was because in my room there is unfortunately no aerial box. There is only one in my flat and its in the living room.

What can I do to watch TV on my PC in my room?

Thanks a lot for any and all help guys.

Comments

• CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    I'm not sure how well it works, but the ATi HDTV Wonder comes with an antenna that hooks up to the card to watch digital programming:

http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvwonder/index.html
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited January 2005
    You either gotta run some cable, using an aerial splitter, or use an indoor aerial.

I'm assuming you're UK, you can pick up a good one at Currys, Dixons, or similar outlets for £20.00. It's amplified and is a black round circle about 8" diameter.

If you have a fairly strong signal you may get away with the non-amplified version which costs £10.00.

The amplified version picks up digital TV signals quite well, I'm using one.
  • edited January 2005
    Which method would you use?

I have used an external aerial for my normal TV for about 4 years now. The picture is just about viewable and I can't get any sky/cable channels.

So unless my antenna is a really crap and old one, how good do you think a new one would be?

And would this method work better than using extended cabling?
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited January 2005
    By far the best method is to use cable to run an extension socket from your existing aerial point to your new location. Assuming your external aerial is good.

However, I've found that airbourne digital TV signals are stronger than their terrestrial counterparts, so there's a good chance an indoor aerial would work.

Buy one and try it, if you get it from Currys or somewhere like that, you can probably take it back for a refund if it doesn't do the job.