Wireless Laptop Woes

MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
edited January 2005 in Science & Tech
I bought this cheap-ass wireless-g card for my laptop (Toshiba Satellite, Windows XP Home Edition)

Belkin Wireless G Notebook Network Card 54 Mbps

I follow the instructions and pop the CD in and let it install. First it installs a Belkin utility, then the drivers. When it gets to 87% of the drivers installation, i get a "Installation Failed" message. When I use the Windows Found New Hardware Wizard, It acts as though its being installed, but at the end it says "There was a problem installing this hardware. An error occured during install, The system cannot find the specific file specified. I downloaded the drivers off the website and got the same errors.

PLEASE HELP!

Comments

• MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited January 2005
    OMG!!!

Shortly after posting this, I found a live support chat on Blekin's website, so I tried it out. I was chatting for close to 4 hours and the support guy gave up on me and ended the session. Real nice :) . So, in a rush of frustration, just continually tried installing, over and over and over again, and guess what. IT WORKED!

Side note: As i was searching for help online, I found an article about how Belkin was spamming their customers by putting software on their routers to redirect customers to their site and Belkin ads. Please, for everyone's sake, don't support Belkin and buy their trash, you'd be supporting terrorism :eek: !!!!
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited January 2005
    Out of interest i entered "Belkin spamming" into Google.

These were the first 2 links.

link1 http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11/11/belkin_disables_router_spamming_feature/

link2 http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11/07/help_my_belkin_router/

Looks like this was fixed over a year ago.

Good to see you managed to fix your problem. :)
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited January 2005
    Always use the latest driver from the website. Most of these manufacturers are in such a rush to get out the hardware that they usually send out beta-like drivers with it.