Wild points nowadays

TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
edited January 2005 in Folding@Home
:cool:

I have been out of folding for a year at least but dang, the amount of points per day have increased a lot. The first WU i got was #1136 which is worth 241 points. A barton at 2.4 ghz took that down in 30 hours making the average points per day 192.8 for that WU. I remember i hated tinkers in the past.

I got another WU now that isn't on the list, is it cause i use the advmethods and forceasm flags? Beta WU? The name is p234_vil0MUre99p and it takes exactly 6 minutes per frame to crunch. Any idea what it's worth?
This is fun and i can get used to this again.

Comments

• ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited January 2005
    Welcome back :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2005
    A p234 is worth 52 points and you probably got it from -advmethods.

They redid the points awhile back and changed the benchmark machine from a 500mhz Celeron to a P4. So Tinkers and Gromacs should be about the same on a P4. But for AMDs, tinkers are awesome.

There are 600 pointers out there right now that are pretty good as well. You should get about 1700 PPW with your 2.4 Barton. I have one that does about that amount with those WUs.

The addiction starts as a small ember.:)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Good to see ya back in the folding crew Mack. Some serious firepower returns :cool:
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Welcome back Mack. Yes, how times have changed. :rockon:
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited January 2005
    I don't get much points for WU's. Only around 50 like MM mentioned above.

Is there a way to get more points?

Below is a pic of EM III calculator. What does the points per hour, day, week equal to? Thanks

EDIT: Welcome back :)
    edited January 2005
    Trojan - You need to specify on the calculator which WU you're folding and also take the time per frame that is displayed in EM and enter those numbers into the time per frame into the calculator.

At 10 hours & 40 minutes per frame, you won't be getting much.
    edited January 2005
    TBonZ wrote:
    Trojan - You need to specify on the calculator which WU you're folding and also take the time per frame that is displayed in EM and enter those numbers into the time per frame into the calculator.

At 10 hours & 40 minutes per frame, you won't be getting much.

I've specified the WU i'm folding and also taken the time displayed in EM and entered it into the T.P.F on the calculator. The calculator pic above is what I get.

Here a pic of EM - Does it look right? Is there another way of getting more points, if possible?

Thanks TBonZ
    edited January 2005
    You must wait until EM has fully completed at least one percentage of a unit. Notice that there are only zero's at the tpf, tpw/u & time remaining headings. This is where you need to take the tpf from. The value you have entered in the calc is the time start of the WU, which is 10:40AM.

Also, you are effectively benchmarking your CPU so make sure to not be doing anything else on the computer in the mean time, otherwise you will not get an accurate measurement of your full potential.

Edit - Circled is the where the info is, the top heading is your time per frame. You should be only entering the minutes & seconds values, I highly doubt it would take you more than 1 hour to do a percentage of a WU.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Thanks for the explanation Marc :)
    Times and points may have changed, but certainly not the friendly faces :thumbsup:
    You guys rock!
    edited January 2005
    Also, you are effectively benchmarking your CPU so make sure to not be doing anything else on the computer in the mean time, otherwise you will not get an accurate measurement of your full potential.

Sorry if sounds stupid but Should I not do anything on the computer for 1 hour according to the below quote?
    Edit - Circled is the where the info is, the top heading is your time per frame. You should be only entering the minutes & seconds values, I highly doubt it would take you more than 1 hour to do a percentage of a WU.

Thanks for the help
    edited January 2005
    Depending on what WU your processing, yes. In your case with a 46pt WU, no. Judging by your setup, it should be about 5-7 minutes. :)
    edited January 2005
    Trogan,

Bring up the processes tab in the task manager. Press the cpu tab so that the application that takes the most power is on top.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Welcome home, Mack :D
  • edited January 2005
    Glad to see you back folding, Mack! :thumbsup: When you get your A64 machine back up, check out it folds the bigwu's (the ones that use a significant amount of memory); my winny 3000 chews them up at over 2000 points/week. :D
    edited January 2005
    I've done what Mack mentioned by putting the Process which is using the most CPU (which is FAHConsole....) at the top and left the computer running without doing anything for 10 mins which TBonZ mentioned. I still haven't done a 1%. Also, the computer runs through out the night, most night anyways.

Am I doing something wrong or have I configured EM wrong?

Thanks
    edited January 2005
    Trogan,

Does it show that Fahcore is at 99%? I just posted the picture to help you to find out whether it folds ok or not, it doesn't help the actual folding. Take a similar picture that i did so we can see, but maximize it so we see the whole screen of it.

Mudd, that was actually my next question...does the A64's help compared to the XP's/Bartons? What about the CG S754 cpu's with 1mb cache? Even better?

OT:
    BTW Trogan, United played 0-0 against the amateur division 5 team Exeter of all teams today. Laugh of the day :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2005
    ... left the computer running without doing anything for 10 mins which TBonZ mentioned. I still haven't done a 1%....
    Well, if you could do 1% in 10 minutes you'd be finishing a WU in under 17 hours. In the days of smaller WU's that wouldn't be impossible. If you're tied into one of the new big ones you'd have to have a Cray to do that. :)
    Also, the computer runs through out the night, most night anyways.
    That will be a better measure of your machines capability. See what percent you get done by tomorrow morning, then do the math. Take into account that some WU's out now are worth 600 points. Figure out how many points your current WU is worth and how many hours it will take start-to-finish to knock it out. Figure in the point value of the WU and divide the two, then multiply by 168 Hours/week for a weekly figure.

For example:

If a 241 point WU takes you 60 hours total you are getting about 4 points per hour. 4 X 168 = 672 Points Per Week. Consider this a rule-of-thumb, not an absolute guarantee. Different WU's with similar point totals can vary time-wise on the same machine.
    Am I doing something wrong or have I configured EM wrong?

Thanks
    We won't know until you have some data to work with. Let us know what WU you have and what percent it finished overnight. We can tell you better then. :thumbsup::fold:

:banghead: I should have mentioned this first: EOC F@H says you're currently doing 190 points a day, which works out to 1,330 points/week. Not bad for one machine. :cool:
    edited January 2005
    Thank You Prof, TBonz and short-Media :D

I don't know what I did but I had EM open trying to play with it and see what I could do when all of a sudden everything appeared to correct itself

Here are the screen shots of EM and calc. Can someone explain from here PLEASE :)...(don't mind the wallpaper :p )

Thanks
    edited January 2005
    Mackanz wrote:
    Trogan,

Does it show that Fahcore is at 99%? I just posted the picture to help you to find out whether it folds ok or not, it doesn't help the actual folding. Take a similar picture that i did so we can see, but maximize it so we see the whole screen of it.

Yea, it does show 99%. I always made sure it has although it always gives some amount of percentage to other processes. If you want i'l post a pic.
    OT:
    BTW Trogan, United played 0-0 against the amateur division 5 team Exeter of all teams today. Laugh of the day :D
    lol @ you calling them a division 5 team, actually, they're in the conference division. :thumbsup:

I couldn't believe it either, 0-0 against us. Then again, we never had our best players playing.
    WE ARE STILL THE BEST
  • edited January 2005
    Mack, I really don't know how a cg 754 Hammer does, since I don't have access to a system running one. I would imagine it would do 2-5% better than a 512k version, just like a Barton is about 2-5% faster than a Tbred at the same speed. It really looks like GHz is the paramount factor within the respective processor architectures (ie XP, A64, etc). You get minor increases with cache from what I've seen , but not as much as faster processor speeds. I also don't know how the Presshot compares to a Northwood; maybe someone else that has both can fill us in on them at the same speed. I'm guessing that the Presshot will lose some folding speed for the same proc speed due to that insanely long 31 stage pipeline, but how much I have no idea. Since the folding client doesn't support any SSE3 optimizations, Presshot can't gain any edge by having those instructions over Northwood.
    edited January 2005
    One thing i have noticed also is the amount of time it takes for thew client to download a new unit. I know you can run another client to eliminate the "downtime" but half an hour between every unit? I didn't use the IE settings when i ran the setup, maybe i should?

[11:48:37] Completed 1000000 out of 1000000 steps (100)
    [11:48:37] Writing final coordinates.
    [11:48:37] Past main M.D. loop
    [11:49:37]
    [11:49:37] Finished Work Unit:
    [11:49:37] - Reading up to 147240 from "work/wudata_03.arc": Read 147240
    [11:49:37] - Reading up to 325932 from "work/wudata_03.xtc": Read 325932
    [11:49:37] goefile size: 0
    [11:49:37] logfile size: 21973
    [11:49:37] Leaving Run
    [11:49:39] - Writing 509149 bytes of core data to disk...
    [11:49:39] ... Done.
    [11:49:39] - Shutting down core
    [11:49:39]
    [11:49:39] Folding@home Core Shutdown: FINISHED_UNIT
    [11:49:41] CoreStatus = 64 (100)
    [11:49:41] Sending work to server

[11:49:41] + Attempting to send results
    [11:49:50] + Results successfully sent
    [11:49:50] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@Home.
    [11:49:50] + Number of Units Completed: 3

[11:49:54] - Preparing to get new work unit...
    [11:49:54] + Attempting to get work packet
    [11:49:54] - Connecting to assignment server
    [11:49:54] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.127).
    [11:49:54] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [11:49:54] Loaded queue successfully.
    [11:49:55] - Error: Attempt #1 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
    Waiting before retry.
    [11:50:10] + Attempting to get work packet
    [11:50:10] - Connecting to assignment server
    [11:50:12] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.127).
    [11:50:12] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [11:50:12] Loaded queue successfully.
    [11:50:12] - Error: Attempt #2 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
    Waiting before retry.
    [11:50:26] + Attempting to get work packet
    [11:50:26] - Connecting to assignment server
    [11:50:28] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.127).
    [11:50:28] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [11:50:28] Loaded queue successfully.
    [11:50:30] - Error: Attempt #3 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
    Waiting before retry.
    [11:50:55] + Attempting to get work packet
    [11:50:55] - Connecting to assignment server
    [11:50:57] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.127).
    [11:50:57] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [11:50:57] Loaded queue successfully.
    [11:50:57] - Error: Attempt #4 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
    Waiting before retry.
    [11:51:46] + Attempting to get work packet
    [11:51:46] - Connecting to assignment server
    [11:51:48] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.127).
    [11:51:48] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [11:51:48] Loaded queue successfully.
    [11:51:49] - Error: Attempt #5 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
    Waiting before retry.
    [11:53:16] + Attempting to get work packet
    [11:53:16] - Connecting to assignment server
    [11:53:18] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.127).
    [11:53:18] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [11:53:18] Loaded queue successfully.
    [11:53:19] - Error: Attempt #6 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
    Waiting before retry.
    [11:56:13] + Attempting to get work packet
    [11:56:13] - Connecting to assignment server
    [11:56:14] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.127).
    [11:56:14] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [11:56:14] Loaded queue successfully.
    [11:56:14] - Error: Attempt #7 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
    Waiting before retry.
    [12:01:45] + Attempting to get work packet
    [12:01:45] - Connecting to assignment server
    [12:01:46] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.127).
    [12:01:46] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [12:01:46] Loaded queue successfully.
    [12:01:47] - Error: Attempt #8 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
    Waiting before retry.
    [12:12:40] + Attempting to get work packet
    [12:12:40] - Connecting to assignment server
    [12:12:42] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.127).
    [12:12:42] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [12:12:42] Loaded queue successfully.
    [12:12:42] - Error: Attempt #9 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
    Waiting before retry.

EDIT//

I see that more have the same problem with the .127 server. It's probably down. http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26223
    You guys should check your farm so that it doesn't try to connect to that server all the time. I deleted the the core, que and whatnot and reinstalled with the exception that i want to recieve the memory hogging units and also using IE settings and all is good now i think. I recieved a 600 pointer right away. :wtf:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2005
    YGPM Mack.:)

Half an hour is usually a lot longer than it should take. Only on dial-up with Big WUs should it take that long just because of the amount to upload.

I always say 'no' to the IE and other connection type settings and I dont have a problem but not all networks are the same. But yeah it does look like its down altho its not even listed on the server status page. They dont have as many as they used to it looks like.

http://folding.stanford.edu/serverstat.html