Making a 1MP print look better

GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
edited January 2005 in Internet & Media
Howdy folks. A few months ago, my roommate took some pictures of me and some friends that I'd like to print out. Unfortunately, he had the camera set on 1 megapixel. They look alright on screen, but after getting some 4x6" prints back from Wal-Mart, they look pretty bad on paper. Is there anything I can do in Photoshop that can help these pictures come out less grainy, or any other measures I can take?

The attached picture isn't one that I'd actually like to print, but it's from the same night, and is probably one of the most extreme examples of the grainyness. Yes, I'm the guy with the funny look on his face (that isn't Will Rogers).

Thanks!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    The best I could do was duplicate the layer, run a gaussian blur on the copy and then lower the opacity of the copy; graininess was lost but sharpness disappeared.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    That's a good start, thanks. Maybe I can just erase parts of the duplicated layer to get sharpness where I want it, but leave large uniform areas like the walls smoothed out. I'll have to play with that a bit. :thumbsup:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Yeah, that's the next step I could've taken, but it's not <i>my</i> photo and I didn't care <i>that</i> much. ;D