Missing points

NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
edited August 2003 in Folding@Home
I submitted 5 work units that I had completed in work from home last night around 6pm GMT. Its now nearly 9am and they still havn't appeared. I checked the logs before I left and they had all sent successfully. There was over 200+ points in those 5 :mad:

Anyone else having problems?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2003
    I don't seem to be having trouble at the moment (though I'm sure going to double-check that!), but there have been times in the past when it took several days for wayward WU's to straggle in. They all eventually got there, though.
    I think sometimes Stanford is doing maintenance on their system and things get a little backed-up. I just checked their site and they don't mention any planned outages at present.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    It says you had 449 points yesterday. Was that it? Dont look at the sigs. They are not updating.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Nope that was from the day before. I am sure they will turn up, I was just wondering if anyone else was having the same problem.

And I know about the sigs, they are waiting for keebs to work his magic on ;)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Mine are updating normally. I did lose a few a while back, but Folding has to manually update missing ones.

One reason the updating of the things that go missing takes a while is the admins get to do the fixes semi-manually, and their focus needs to be to gen more and more useful drill-in folding work and better consoles, plus they moved all tha computers and are in CA where rolling blackouts are becoming more and more common.

Advice, look at your folding logs on the affected machine for WU start times, then look 30-35 lines above that point and see if there is a send error. IF you find no transmission error, you can then take the data by WU and collate your end. They then can examine the data and by project and day know what server to cull for stats and try to do so also when they have server errors.

But when the WU initiating server is in fact down and an alternate picks the WU up the most exact data you can give them will let them know what servers to maintain. That will help also with misroutings of data like when the stats server is down when a WU is received and due to a glitch the WU data does not get passed through the netowrk to the stats server right. Many gallons of deisel to run many servers 24\7 in a state with power problems is quite costly and the result is that the admins get to examine logs at mainainance time. More problems with a server, more often it gets looked at and more deeply the server in question is log probed.

Try to give them the following:

Your console version or screensaver version (client version and type, O\S also if possible).

Date and time as close as possible, and if not GMT time give both that and GMT (AKA Zulu, or UDT). Work unit and project info from your logs, and cut and paste into a text editor as you find entires. If you can tell them when the WU started by WU project name (WU Alphanumeric ID) that will help them both fix and prevent using those stats by locating troublesome boxes which they will examine in detail if needed and by hand if needed.

Remember also that at teh time of Blaster US web networking was messed up big time as the Blaster spread, and that right now soemone let loose on the network a variant of Blaster called w32.blaster.d which tries to get Blastered machines to call Microsoft and get patches for the RPC issue. Yes, someone put a fixer virus on the web for blaster and the thing is not very effective as the virus needs to be removed first and that fixer does NOT, afaik, use Symantec's virus patcher for Blaster to remove first and thus the patch will not take right when applied in the first place and not the second unless done normally.
    BUT, someone tried at least.

So you can expect some transmit errors due to virus noise giving tranmit noise and and interfering with connects. There were lots of issues that came out of Blaster, but connects will be one of them that might affect folding stats and makes examining logs more exacting a need. I will leave it to others to tell you where your logs are if this a Windows box, but if you have problems transmitting those are more likely to happen as viruses leave ISPs blocking things like virus ports and soemtimes leaving folks in the dark ISP wise as routing servers are patched. Comcast alternate routed lots of stuff during Blaster, so did AT&T and it is more likely that you had transmit problems or noise problems during Blaster and shortly after than during times of low virus activity.

For my Linux console, there is a way to exit the console, then restart with a forced transmit and WUs that you might be missing might be resend panded sitting on your box. If not, then all teh details that are hyper accurate that you can tell them about what was sent and when will help them fix errors. If they get no complaints and not error log entries on servers, they will think things decent on their end. If they see an ongoing problem it will take priority and the send error and WU to account credit errors will also be worked on but it has to be doen the old-fashioned way. When the interchange media (web) is strained, errors will happen on a distributed computing system more often. That hopefully is the biggest bottom line, XMIT\REC over web issues. Look at your folding files for dupes also in terms of more than one WU archive set in the working directory for the client(each one on the box), or more than one set of WU archive files.

If the client caught the problem then you have a quick fix-- force a manual resend. If not, Folding admins will have to fix semi-manually or manually.

The WU points I lost, like 10% rate of total right now, were lost close to moving time for the center and also that move has kept them busy. about 2\3 of those showed up, but the web is a fragile media. I am happy they are able to give me a 90% credit as I fold for the info to be given to them for fixes to human farilties and worry very little. They have very good admins who can offset problems with enough info, though.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Something is definitely wrong with only 47 points being submitted within the last 24 hours.

Humour me and post a log with the sending WU displayed.
    edited August 2003
    TBonZ said
    Something is definitely wrong with only 47 points being submitted within the last 24 hours.

Humour me and post a log with the sending WU displayed.

Sent some more today, just after 6pm so they "should" have appeared at the 9pm(gmt) update. I will give them till the morning.

This is off 3 of the logs. Notice that is sucessful every time :banghead:

--- Opening Log file [August 20 16:54:18]

# Windows Console Edition #####################################################
    ###############################################################################

Folding@home Client Version 3.25

http://foldingathome.stanford.edu
    email:help@foldingathome.stanford.edu

Arguments: -send all

[16:54:18] - Ask before connecting: No
    [16:54:18] - User name: necropolis_uk (Team 93)
    [16:54:18] - User ID = 6A60EC2B1CF33D5B
    [16:54:18] - Machine ID: 1
    [16:54:18]
    [16:54:18] Loaded queue successfully.
    [16:54:18] + Benchmarking ...
    [16:54:22] Attempting to return result(s) to server...

[16:54:22] + Attempting to send results
    [16:56:50] + Results successfully sent
    [16:56:50] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@home.
    [16:56:50] + Number of Units Completed: 258

[16:56:50] + Attempting to send results
    [16:58:17] + Results successfully sent
    [16:58:17] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@home.
    [16:58:17] + Number of Units Completed: 259

Folding@home Client Shutdown.

--- Opening Log file [August 21 17:00:02]

[17:00:02] - Ask before connecting: No
    [17:00:02] - User name: necropolis_uk (Team 93)
    [17:00:02] - User ID = 6A60EC2B1CF33D5B
    [17:00:02] - Machine ID: 1
    [17:00:02]
    [17:00:03] Loaded queue successfully.
    [17:00:03] + Benchmarking ...
    [17:00:06] Attempting to return result(s) to server...

[17:00:06] + Attempting to send results
    [17:03:08] + Results successfully sent
    [17:03:08] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@home.
    [17:03:08] + Number of Units Completed: 260

--- Opening Log file [August 20 16:54:22]

[16:54:22] - Ask before connecting: No
    [16:54:22] - User name: necropolis_uk (Team 93)
    [16:54:22] - User ID = 6A60EC2B1CF33D5B
    [16:54:22] - Machine ID: 1
    [16:54:22]
    [16:54:22] Loaded queue successfully.
    [16:54:22] + Benchmarking ...
    [16:54:25] Attempting to return result(s) to server...

[16:54:25] + Attempting to send results
    [16:57:10] + Results successfully sent
    [16:57:10] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@home.
    [16:57:10] + Number of Units Completed: 257

--- Opening Log file [August 21 17:00:08]

[17:00:08] - Ask before connecting: No
    [17:00:08] - User name: necropolis_uk (Team 93)
    [17:00:08] - User ID = 6A60EC2B1CF33D5B
    [17:00:08] - Machine ID: 1
    [17:00:08]
    [17:00:08] Loaded queue successfully.
    [17:00:08] + Benchmarking ...
    [17:00:11] Attempting to return result(s) to server...

[17:00:11] + Attempting to send results
    [17:04:06] + Results successfully sent
    [17:04:06] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@home.
    [17:04:06] + Number of Units Completed: 258

--- Opening Log file [August 20 16:54:26]

[16:54:26] - Ask before connecting: No
    [16:54:26] - User name: necropolis_uk (Team 93)
    [16:54:26] - User ID = 6A60EC2B1CF33D5B
    [16:54:26] - Machine ID: 1
    [16:54:26]
    [16:54:27] Loaded queue successfully.
    [16:54:27] + Benchmarking ...
    [16:54:30] Attempting to return result(s) to server...

[16:54:30] + Attempting to send results
    [16:57:33] + Results successfully sent
    [16:57:33] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@home.
    [16:57:33] + Number of Units Completed: 257

--- Opening Log file [August 21 17:00:13]

[17:00:13] - Ask before connecting: No
    [17:00:13] - User name: necropolis_uk (Team 93)
    [17:00:13] - User ID = 6A60EC2B1CF33D5B
    [17:00:13] - Machine ID: 1
    [17:00:13]
    [17:00:13] Loaded queue successfully.
    [17:00:13] + Benchmarking ...
    [17:00:16] Attempting to return result(s) to server...

[17:00:16] + Attempting to send results
    [17:03:42] + Results successfully sent
    [17:03:42] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@home.
    [17:03:42] + Number of Units Completed: 258

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2003
    I checked in at Stanford's server this afternoon and they were down for maintenance. They are back up now. Hopefully your lost sheep will find their way home.

EDIT: Stanford shows your last WU turned in about an hour ago, with a total of 2124 WU's and 44,424 points. Does that sound right?
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Those units are all from the same computer?
    edited August 2003
    TBonZ said
    Those units are all from the same computer?

I fold with 10 machines in work. Every now and again they get a problem where they dont send WU's only recieve them. I have to email them home and send the WU's from here.

Just looking and the points have appeared this morning. I am happy now :thumbsup: