Amd Athlon 64 3200+

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited August 2005 in Hardware
I was just wondering what the 3200 in the Amd Athlon 64 3200+ means. Is that supposed to mean that its comparable to the pentium 4 3.2 ghz processor in performance?

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    That is the base comparison of AMD's PR model yes :)

In most benchmarks, it performs a little over that as well ;)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    I have an AMD 64 3200+ in my laptop.... IT ROCKS. I had my F@H on a P4 3.2 GHz yesterday. I closed it and moved it to my new laptop and ran the second half of the same protein....

P4 was averaging just under 9 minutes per frame. My AMD64 3200+ was doing it in just under <b>six</b> minutes!!!!!! :cool:
  • edited July 2005
    AND is just better lol
  • edited August 2005
    I have an Emachines T6410 with AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 512 MB RAM, 160 GB hard drive, ATI radeon xpress 200, running windows XP 32 bit. I am not getting the speed I should be getting. Can someone tell me what I can do to improve performance. What I have noticed is that the processor usage in taskbar is always more than 50% even I am not running any application. Would 64bit windows help me? PLZ help.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    K_Squad wrote:
    ...What I have noticed is that the processor usage in taskbar is always more than 50% even I am not running any application.
    You might want to head over to the Spyware/Virus/Trojan Discussion Forum and make sure some monkey business isn't going on behind your back.

If they check you out as clean, you might be better off starting a new thread with a more specific title, like "Help me optimize my A64 3200+". There are lots of people capable of giving you great advice who might skip this thread as it is rather old and too general. :)
    Would 64bit windows help me?
    Once there are 64-Bit applications available that would be a great idea. But, no matter what OS you run, with 50% CPU usage you are still going to have trouble. You should check that out first. :thumbsup:
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2005
    K_Squad wrote:
    I have an Emachines T6410 with AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 512 MB RAM, 160 GB hard drive, ATI radeon xpress 200, running windows XP 32 bit. I am not getting the speed I should be getting. Can someone tell me what I can do to improve performance. What I have noticed is that the processor usage in taskbar is always more than 50% even I am not running any application. Would 64bit windows help me? PLZ help.
    Do you have onboard Video? If so its stealing memory and performance. Grab a DX9 video card You can grab a ATI 9600XT, 9700 Pro, 9800 Pro (all 128MB) used for $75-$125 these days

Also consider upgrading to 1GB memory.

But bear in mind with an Emachine, you're not going to reach the performance level of a tweaked out, self assembled machine (Better, faster, overclockable motherboard, Highspeed memory etc)
  • edited August 2005
    Thank you so much for providing quick reply. yeah i do have 128 MB video ram being stolen from 512. I m gonna start a new thread. Thanks.