Sick of Linksys, Time for a new Router.

pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
edited January 2005 in Science & Tech
Ok, I'm utterly sick of Linksys routers. I've had no problems with their PCMCIA cards or their PCI cards but their routers have been utterly horrid to me. I've had a wireless G router take a crap on me and now my B router is taking a dump and keeps dropping the wireless connection. All the firmware is up to date and such, it just seems to be giving up the ghost. I've given up on their routers and I'm off to pick up a D-Link today probably. Probably just going to get a B, but does anyone have any testimonials or suggestions? A certain model I should get? Thanks guys.

edit// Oh yeah, I'll still be running 2 linksys receivers on my lappy and a desktop, anyone know of any compatibility problems?

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    I've had the same problems with my DLink... Just stay away from the DI-614+. heh. I don't think they make them anymore, but their available firmware is horrid. I've heard better stuff about their newer products. Good luck in your purchase.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    I know what you mean about those Linksys routers; I've never seen a working one. One of my friends tried to host a LAN party with one. Suffice it to say, that was the same evening I got my new Netgear router ;D. I'll let you know how I like my new 3com OfficeConnect A/B/G access point when it gets here. All my wired routers are either Linux or Netgear. Neither of the above has given me any problems.

-drasnor :fold:
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited January 2005
    I recently picked up a Netgear WGR614 v4, and am pretty happy with it so far. It replaced an SMC7004VWBR that was has having some strange issues....would keep freezing up on sustained connections (like online gaming or remote logins, etc.)

I've had good success with Linksys routers so far, although our one at our office is locking up lately and needs replacing, but iut is 3 years old so has done not so bad. However, we have about 6 identical Linksys units in the field which we administer, which work great. They replaced some D-Link ones, which we had nothing but problems with. Sort of counter to your experience, I have used lots of D-link ethernet cards which have been great, but the routers have been not so great.

Good luck.

Dexter...
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited January 2005
    My Linskys router is two years old. Never had no probs. It takes 4 machines & ADSL Modem. Net, online gaming, LAN - all is good.

Am I lucky or something?

Whatever, good luck, I hope you find a solution.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    I've had 2 Linksys, 3 Netgear, 1 Dlink, and now have a Zyxel. I have a Netgear WGR614 and it was a fine router as was the RP614 before it, but if you want a REAL router go with the Zyxel P334W. NewEgg has them and they are stable, fast, and have all the pro fieatures. Site blocking, Bandwidth management, Full firewall with SPI and DDOS protection. Full logging and email support. It never needs rebooting and always seems to just work like you expect.

Zyxel makes most of Netgears SOHO routers for those that don't know and pretty much wrote the first router OS. They are little more complex than the consumer routers, but with their new web interface they aren't too bad. You still have to telnet to the OS for some more in depth special things, but 98% of people will never need to do it.

Here's a link : http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-181-212&depa=0
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Ooohh! Awesome. I was looking for such a thing. I'm tired of this POS D-Link, and I wanted something with a little more depth than your standard consumer router.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2005
    I hate linksys routers as well. I had 3 linksys routers at my home and not one would work. Got a netgear and it worked right away. Linksys also dropped us from games here at the apartment as well.

Get a netgear.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Netgear WGR614v5 and RP614v2 here. Both have worked well.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Linksys WRT54G; two years, overclocked, and running strong. :D
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited January 2005
    Always had a linksys router and never had much of a problem with them so far. Only have one minor problem. It seems that it changes my address once a week from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.101. If I do not remember to open up the router and change the settings, no one can see me when I host online games. Only takes a few seconds to change, but it is a pain in the butt, but I always had this problem. Forget about customer support. When you call you are talking to someone from India or Pakistan that has no idea on how to help you with your problem. Other wise good router at a good price.
  • edited January 2005
    Screw all of that. Just put together a Smoothwall router/firewall out of an old machine. Smoothwall has features that not even the $200 routers have.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited January 2005
    I had a Linksys for around 4 years with very little trouble. It died a few weeks ago. A few times I had to phone Linksys for support and each time got somebody in the USA who knew exactly how to solve it, They took their time and sorted it out, and the call was free. I got Linksys originaly because that was what everybody said to get. I wasn't dissapointed.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Screw all of that. Just put together a Smoothwall router/firewall out of an old machine. Smoothwall has features that not even the $200 routers have.

Except for easily becoming a wireless access point........ ;)
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited January 2005
    The only thing you have to worry about is if you want to use those speedbooster things (each manufacturere calls them different things) that "doubles" the transfer speed. If the chip source is not the same then it won't be compatible. D-Link and Linksys are not compatible for those speed boost (super-G?) settings but will work in normal b/g.
  • edited January 2005
    Except for easily becoming a wireless access point........ ;)

It can do that too. :o