Best Detonator Driver for HL2?

Ghaleon4Ghaleon4 South Oklahoma
edited January 2005 in Science & Tech
I figured that by now, SOMEONE out there would have put together some information regarding which detonator drivers squeeze the most performance out of the video card for Half-Life 2. Does anyone here know anything?
So far, the BEST performance I've seen is from the 67.02 betas. (Coincidentally, they were released on the SAME day that HL2 was).

Glitches reported by people using these drivers:

Some surfaces have a glossy "sheen" on them.
(Even though I don't think some of the surfaces are supposed to be that shiny, I can't say it's necessarily a bad thing...unless for some reason it's more predominant on different people's computers. On mine, it looks GOOD for some reason...)

If you've played the game for awhile, quit, and then started it again without restarting the system, you may experience a "snow" effect. (little white pixels floating around). From what I've read, people who experience this are forced to reboot to get it to go away. Luckily for me, any time I've ever seen these artifacts they only lasted a few seconds at a time. I played for about 4-5 hours last night, and I saw them twice.

Unfortunately, I cannot give a very scientifically correct analysis of these drivers, because of all of the other tweaks I've performed on my operating system, and the game itself before I installed these drivers. For all I know, I could have changed ONE in-game setting that allows these specific drivers to run like a bat outta hell...but if anyone is running a setup similar to mine, I'll be glad to write up a specific step-by-step account of all the tweaks I've implemented to get the most out of performance, AND quality.

My system:

Windows XP Corporate Edition
Athlon XP 1700 OC'd @ 2.1Ghz
2x256Megs PC2100 DDR total 512Megs @ 160FSB (TwinBank Memory Architecture)
Asus A7N8X 2.0 Nforce 2 Chipset Motherboard
Nvidia GeForceFX 5900 Ultra /w 256Megs
SoundBlaster Audigy 1 /w hacked Audigy 2 drivers
Western Digital 7200RPM SATA 30Gig Caviar HDD
LiteOn 24x12x32 CDRW
Toshiba 8x DVD-ROM

Comments

• SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited January 2005
    ForceWare 67.02 has given me the best performance in HL2 & CS:S.

Most other 67.xx & 68.xx series drivers gave me the yellow/no water bug, or else shimmering surfaces.