Good Post NO VIDEO!!!

Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
edited January 2005 in Hardware
i'm using a asus a7n8x deluxe mobo and trying to use a ati radeon 9000. Problem is that i turn it on and i hear the post beep but no video whatsoever. i have tried a different video card and samething. mobo is agp pro 8x and the radeon is 4x but (if i understand my agp tech) it should work backward compatability, right? i don't know what to do!!! any ideas?

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    yes it should work. it might be your monitor. have you tried using another monitor? and are you only hearing one beep or a few more? it should only be one beep. are you absolutely sure the vid card is seated properly in the slot?
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited January 2005
    yea card is in right. monitor does work, but the weird thing is that i didn't mess with it for like 3 days and i went back and put in a crappy esc video card and it worked and right then i switched back to the radeon and it also worked(this was all yesterday) and now i turn it on and i get no signal again. i don't know what the deal is!! on boot i get one short beep, so it's posting ok just no video!
    edited January 2005
    so it worked yesterday and i haven't moved the card since but now no workie.
    edited January 2005
    iwas thinking about it and i'm suppose to get an error code when video is found right well i took the video card out and fired it up and now it doesn't post beep either. :confused: i unpluged everything and took out the ram so only the power is plugged in and it doesn't make any beeps??? :banghead:
    edited January 2005
    Sounds like a bad motherboard then. I think when there's no cpu or ram installed it should beep a lot to let you know that hey, it ain't gonna work. If it's not beeping at all, I'd look at replacing the motherboard. If you happen to get into windows somehow, try downloding the latest BIOS update for the board and installing it. Might help.
    edited January 2005
    this thing is like 3 months old and has like 5 hours of use.
    edited January 2005
    Buddha16 wrote:
    this thing is like 3 months old and has like 5 hours of use.

And I got a 9700 pro from newegg last year new in box and it didn't work at all. These things break, sometimes they last a long time, sometimes they last 1 day.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    The fans are running and drives spins up and all? Either a dead cpu or a hosed bios.
    edited January 2005
    *FOR SALE* Brand New Asus A7N8x Deluxe Motherboard CHEAP, only used once, dropped twice!! Best offer gets it!!
    edited January 2005
    $1!!!
    edited January 2005
    Sold I expect payment promtly and accept credit cards and personal 3rd party checks. :thumbsup:
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited January 2005
    you know you could have rmaed that board ...........
    for only the price of shipping too
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Well, ZERO RAM should give you a dead board feel-- IE no beeps.

Second, in video settings in BIOS, after you CLEAR the BIOS settings stored in CMOS table and then default them if you can, set to 4X speed in BIOS, possibly no fast writes and reads also. If no video after clearing attempt, new CMOS battery and reCLEARING, check seating of CPU and RAM and video card (my friend's ASUS boards took a LOT of pressure to get RAM seated right, and I have had a just-barely-not-fully seated video card give 1 beep then nothing also). And try once more. If still NADA for video, not even BIOS screen accessible, then sell the board as noted in thread or RMA it yourself maybe.
    edited January 2005
    how do i rma my board?
  • MachineGunKellyMachineGunKelly The STICKS, Illinois
    edited January 2005
    Well hopefully you purchased it from Newegg or another reputable on-line dealer. If so, no problem. Just go to their website and click on 'support', navigate around for 'returns' or such, find RMA form and fill it out on-line. Newegg automatically approves your RMA if the product is still under warranty (most products have a 1 year warranty, save CPU's). Box up your MB in the original box with all accessories and ship it back to them at the address on the RMA and wait about a week and a half for your new one to be shipped free of charge back to you ( dependind on your location).

I'm waiting on my third WD HD as I write this. I think WD stands for 'Was Dead' when I recieved it. Oh well, these things happen. RMA it bro and good luck with the next one!

MGK

(PS: I've done this numerous times over the years and I can tell you one thing for sure. If you want great service go with Newegg. Even if they charge a dollar or two more for what you want. It's worth the peace of mind not fighting over the phone with someone who doesn't speak english and getting the runaround.)